Features of the new ordinance to address structural soundness are:
- Burial depth will be limited to 4 feet
- Manufacturers will be required to have their engineer certify that the design can meet all reasonably expected loading conditions, including:
- An empty tank installed with water table at top of ground
- Burial depth
- Tank full to top of riser
- Vehicular traffic and any other reasonable expected loading conditions
- The manufacturer will have to certify that all tanks manufactured meet the engineer design
In locating the tanks on site, they shall not be placed in low areas or swales subject to drainage, channeling of rainfall, or ponding of water. Tanks shall be protected with controlled backfill when shrink-swell soil is present. If water table indications are observed or measured above penetrations or lank seams, a water table reduction system must be installed to lower the water table below the seam or penetration.
Accepted Tanks List
The Loudoun County Health Department has developed the Loudoun On-Site Wastewater Tank Structural Requirements
to provide more detail to manufacturers. View a list of accepted tanks.