|Records in the Archives Section
Index for Wills: 1757-June 1995. All will/probate/estate records from 1757 to June 30, 1995, are located in the archives. All wills after June 1995 are available on the public access computers located in the Clerks Office on the second floor of the court house.
- Online Will Index: 1757-1946
- Will Books 1757-1984 are located in the archives. Will books from 1984-1995 are on microfilm only in the archives.
More information on The Clerk of the Circuit Court Probate Department is available here.
- A General Index for Deeds 1757-1812 is online here.
- Index for Deeds 1757 to 1893: Located in the archives. All indexes for deeds after 1893 to the present are located in the Clerk’s Office on the second floor.
- Deed Books from 1757- Book 809 (1982) are located in the archives.
- Deed Books 1982 to present: To view a deed book after March 1982 (Book 809), you must go to the main Clerk's Office located on the second floor. Deed Books 8A (1905) to the present are available on the public access computers located in the Clerk’s Office on the second floor.
These are early tax records. The 1758 to 1786 originals are not indexed. They list name of person responsible for paying the tax, all males over the age of 16, some women and slaves. Most free females were not taxed in those days.
- Index for Marriage Records: Includes records from 1793 to June 1995. Index for marriages after 1995 are on computer only and are available at the desk in the archives section.
- Marriage Records: Includes bonds 1767 to 1850; ministers' returns, which list only the names of the parties married and the date, 1793 to mid-1800s; and licenses from the mid-1800s to the present which have the marriage date and additional information.
- The Index of Marriage Bonds 1767-1850 is online.
Birth and Death Records
Births: 1853 to 1859, 1864 to 1866 and 1869 to 1879
Deaths: 1853 to 1866
Note: These birth and death records are incomplete and are available only in book form. Due to the large size and fragile condition no copies will be made from the books. An abstract of the record can be made and certified if desired.
The Index of Birth and Death Records 1912 - 1917 is online.
Order Books and Suit Papers
- Court Order Books: Includes records from 1757 to January 1984. Early order books contain general court business and include references to orphans, children bound to learn a trade, manumissions, road and mill petitions and administrations on an estate if there was no will.
- Index of Chancery Causes: Index to early court suits are known as the “M” files. The “M” files contain the papers from early court suits.
- Index to Road Cases: These are petitions for opening roads in pre-state highway system days.
Land Books (Assessments)
- Land Books: Includes books from 1851 to 1991. The early years are incomplete with some years missing. Due to the large size and fragile condition no copies will be made from the books.
Record of Free Negroes
- Record of Free Negroes: This register of free blacks, 1844-1861, is indexed by name and contains information regarding the individual registering. See Court Order Books above.
- The Index of Free Black Papers 1757-1861 is online.
Historic Records Manager
Hours of Operation
Monday - Friday
8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Clerk of the Circuit Court
P.O. Box 550
Leesburg, VA 20178
Clerk of the Circuit Court
18 East Market St.
Leesburg, VA 20176