A voucher-holder may sign a lease and rent a unit from any landlord eligible to participate in the program.
The initial term of the lease is generally 12 months. In most cases, landlords use the same lease for voucher-assisted tenants as others. Anyone receiving a voucher for the first time and would like to use the voucher for a unit in which you have been living, a new lease is required.
These seven steps must be completed during the leasing process:
- Locate a suitable unit
- Provide a Request for Tenancy Approval (RTA) document to the landlord
- The landlord completes and returns the RTA to HCV Counselor
- The RTA document is reviewed for approval
- The HQS inspection will be scheduled and performed
- The unit passes inspection
- You and the landlord will sign and return all necessary documents to HCV Counselor