If you have property insurance, contact your insurance company as soon as possible. Ask your insurance company about your immediate needs such as a place to stay or restoration procedures.
Actions to Take
Local Restoration Companies
- Check to see what actions are required of you. An inventory of your personal items may need to be made and their assessed value.
- Every item in your home should be inventoried and no items should be thrown away without the approval of your insurance company.
- If you are renting your home, you need to contact the owner as soon as possible.
- When possible, take photos to document your belongings.
The local phonebook lists several companies that can assist you with board-up procedures and restoration of your home. Homeowners should check with their individual insurance company for prior approval before securing a contract for restoration services.
If you do not have property insurance, the following possible local agencies may be able to provide assistance.
- American Red Cross
- Crisis Counseling Centers
- Department of Social Services
- Religious organizations
- Salvation Army