You can now pay your dog license online. You will need your dog license renewal notice and your dog’s rabies vaccination information must be currently on file in our database to renew online. If you need detailed instructions on completing your online transaction, please click here. If you are new resident and your dog's rabies information is not on file with a Loudoun County veterinarian or in our database, you will not be able to purchase your first license online. For a list of Loudoun County veterinarians, please click here. All veterinarians are required to submit monthly rabies reports for their clients to Loudoun County Animal Services within 45 days. Please click below to purchase your license.
If at any point you receive an error message or need assistance completing your transaction, please call 703-777-0406, extension 2873, or email us. Our knowledgeable customer service staff are happy to help! We will work with you to ensure our records are correct and help resolve any issues that may be preventing the completion of your transaction.
The Commonwealth of Virginia mandates Loudoun County to require all dogs four months of age and older to be licensed. In Loudoun County, dog licenses are issued concurrently with the rabies vaccination effective period for each individual dog. The county issues permanent tags to remain with the dog for its lifetime (replacement tags are available if needed). All dogs must have a license tag securely attached to a collar and worn whenever the dog is off of the owner’s property.
Citizens have the option to purchase dog licenses for one, two or three year periods provided that the rabies certificate is valid for the period of time being covered. The cost is $10 per dog, per year, regardless of spay / neuter status.
Why License My Dog?
Other Dog Licensing Purchase Locations
- Failure to purchase a dog license is a Class IV Misdemeanor which can carry up to a $250 fine. Veterinarians are also required by Virginia State code section 3.2-6529 to provide the Treasurer's Office in each locality with a copy of all canine rabies vaccination certificates.
- A license tells everyone that your pet is not a homeless stray, and can identify you as the owner should your pet be found running loose.
- Animal Control Officers will attempt to deliver your licensed dog home to you immediately, skipping a trip to the animal shelter.
- Dog licenses are required for entrance to many dog parks.
- License fees support Animal Services programs including: care and housing for approximately 3,000 stray and abandoned animals a year, investigations of animal neglect and cruelty, emergency rescue and response services for animals, adopting homeless pets to new families, and community education and outreach.
Dog licenses may be purchased at the animal shelter
, the Office of the Treasurer
in Leesburg and Sterling, by mail