Child Care Financial Assistance
Financial assistance is available to low-and-moderate-income families in Loudoun County who are parenting children from birth to age 13 and are working, or are in approved education / training programs. This assistance can help cover child care payments to day care centers and licensed family child care home providers.
Step 1: Determine Your Eligibility
Visit commonhelp.virginia.gov and click on “AM I ELIGIBLE.” You may be eligible if you:
- Participate in the Virginia Initiative for Education and Work (VIEW)
- Currently receive Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
- Have received TANF in the last 12 months
- Are in the Child Protective Services (CPS) system
- Work or are in approved education / training and meet the income eligibility guidelines (Note: Due to budgetary restrictions, a waiting list exists for assistance.)
- Are receiving Head Start and Early Head Start services:
- Head Start Wrap-Around Child Care covers extended day and extended year child care beyond times covered by Head Start core hours, including the summer.
- The Head Start Wrap-Around Child Care subsidy and services are available to siblings.
- Verification of a child’s enrollment in Head Start is required.
Step 2: Apply for Benefits and Services
- If you are eligible, apply online at commonhelp.virginia.govor print the paper application and return it to the Loudoun County Department of Family Services. You may also pick up an application or request that one be mailed to you.
- Loudoun County Department of Family Services, 102 Heritage Way, NE, Suite 103, P.O. Box 7400, Leesburg, VA 20177, 703-777-0353
- Your application will be reviewed within 30 days. During that time, you may be required to participate in an interview and provide verification of income, employment and/or participation in an education or training program, in addition to other required documents.
- After 30 days, the Loudoun County Department of Family Services will let you know if you have been approved.
Step 3: Select Your Child Care Provider
If you are approved, select a provider from the Virginia Department of Social Services’ (VDSS) subsidy-approved list.
- Find a subsidy-approved provider online.
- VDSS will pay a part of the child care cost directly to your provider; this is referred to as a subsidy payment. You may be required to pay a part of the cost; this is called the family co-pay. The subsidy payment and the family co-pay go directly to your chosen child care provider.
For More Information
Call the Loudoun County Department of Family Services at 703-777-0353 and ask to speak to a Child Care Specialist.