Home Occupation Permits
The Loudoun County Zoning Ordinance allows certain businesses and occupations to be conducted in a dwelling unit provided they are properly permitted and comply with the regulations below.
Complete an application
Complete the Home Occupation Permit Application Form Opens a New Window. and have it signed by the property owner.
- If your property is located in an incorporated town within Loudoun County, apply for a zoning permit through the town. County zoning permits are not required for home-based businesses in incorporated towns.
Submit an application
Submit the completed permit application in one of the following ways:
- Online in LandMARC - (Account required)
- In person: Building and Development
Loudoun County Government Center
1 Harrison Street, SE.
Leesburg, Virginia 20175
Hours: Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Pay application fees
A Home Occupation Permit is $165.
You must pay the application fee upon submission.
Regulations for Home Businesses and Occupations
- Applicant’s signature and property owner’s signature are required if applicant and property owner are not one and the same.
- Members of the family residing on the premises are permitted to be engaged in such occupation.
- No equipment or process used in such home occupation shall create noise, vibration, glare, fumes, odors, or electrical interference detectable to the normal senses off the lot. In the case of electrical interference, no equipment or process shall be used which creates visual or audible interference in any radio or television receivers off the premises, or causes fluctuations in line voltage off the premises.
- No traffic shall be generated by such home occupation in greater volumes than would normally be expected in a residential neighborhood. Any need for parking generated by the conduct of such home occupation shall be met by off-street parking and other than in a required front yard.
- One employee (one full-time equivalent), other than members of the family residing on premises, shall be permitted given one additional off-street parking space is provided. Such parking space shall not be located in the required front yard, unless located on an existing driveway.
- The use of the dwelling for the home occupation shall be clearly incidental and subordinate to the use of the dwelling for residential purposes. Not more than 25% of the gross floor area of the dwelling unit nor 25% of said gross floor area if conducted in an accessory structure, shall be used in the conduct of the home occupation.
- There shall be no change in the outside appearance of the building or lot, nor other visible evidence of the conduct of such home occupation other than one sign, not exceeding two square feet in area, non-illuminated.
- There shall be no retail sales, other than items handcrafted on the premises, in connection with such home occupation.
For more information regarding a Home Occupation Permit, please call Building and Development at 703-777-0220.