Home Occupation Permits

  • The Loudoun County Zoning Ordinance allows certain businesses and occupations to be conducted in a dwelling unit provided they comply with the regulations below.
  • You must have a Home Occupation Permit, which is issued by the Department of Building and Development Zoning Division.
  • To receive a permit:
    • You must complete the Home Occupation Permit Application Form (PDF) and have it signed by the property owner.
    • You can mail your completed application, accompanied by a check in the amount of $165 payable to "County of Loudoun."
    • You may also place your completed permit application and check in the drop box in the first floor lobby of the Loudoun County Government Center, 1 Harrison Street SE in Leesburg from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday - Friday. 

Regulations for Home Businesses and Occupations

  • Applicant’s signature and property owner’s signature are required if applicant and property owner are not one and the same.
  • Members of the family residing on the premises are permitted to be engaged in such occupation.
  • No equipment or process used in such home occupation shall create noise, vibration, glare, fumes, odors, or electrical interference detectable to the normal senses off the lot. In the case of electrical interference, no equipment or process shall be used which creates visual or audible interference in any radio or television receivers off the premises, or causes fluctuations in line voltage off the premises.
  • No traffic shall be generated by such home occupation in greater volumes than would normally be expected in a residential neighborhood. Any need for parking generated by the conduct of such home occupation shall be met by off-street parking and other than in a required front yard.
  • One employee (one full-time equivalent), other than members of the family residing on premises, shall be permitted given one additional off-street parking space is provided. Such parking space shall not be located in the required front yard, unless located on an existing driveway.
  • The use of the dwelling for the home occupation shall be clearly incidental and subordinate to the use of the dwelling for residential purposes. Not more than 25% of the gross floor area of the dwelling unit nor 25% of said gross floor area if conducted in an accessory structure, shall be used in the conduct of the home occupation.
  • There shall be no change in the outside appearance of the building or lot, nor other visible evidence of the conduct of such home occupation other than one sign, not exceeding two square feet in area, non-illuminated.
  • There shall be no retail sales, other than items handcrafted on the premises, in connection with such home occupation.

For more information regarding a Home Occupation Permit, please call Building and Development at 703-777-0220.