Thousands of Loudoun residents protect themselves and their loved ones each year with a seasonal influenza vaccination. In addition to keeping your body's defenses at their peak, covering your cough and staying home when sick, the flu vaccine is the best protection you have to keep yourself, your family and your co-workers safe.
Unless told otherwise by your doctor, everyone 6 months old and older should consider being vaccinated for the flu. It could keep you from losing valuable time from work, school, and could even save your life. Fortunately, influenza vaccine is in plentiful supply throughout Loudoun County.
Tips to Staying Healthy
In addition to vaccination, other key steps you can take to stay well and reduce the spread of disease include:
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth. Germs are spread that way.
- If you get sick, stay home from work or school and limit contact with others to keep from infecting them.
- Sneeze and cough into your upper sleeve, not your hands.
- Try to avoid close contact with sick people.
- Wash your hands often, scrubbing your hands together for 20 seconds with soap and water, especially after you cough or sneeze. Alcohol-based hand cleaners are also effective.
More information on staying safe from the flu is available from the Virginia Department of Health or by emailing the Health Department.