Continuum of Care
News and Announcements
Notice: Loudoun Cold Weather Shelter is Open
The Loudoun County Cold Weather Shelter opened November 15, 2019, and will be open through March 31, 2020, for adults in the community who are experiencing a housing crisis resulting in homelessness. The shelter, which provides a warm indoor sleeping environment, is open from 8:00 p.m. to 7:00 a.m., seven nights a week. Call 571-258-3033 for more information.
HUD Continuum of Care (CoC) Program Competition Now Open
The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) has approximately $2.3 billion available this year to fund Continuum of Care (CoC) projects. The Fiscal Year 2019 Notice of Available Funding has further details.
Loudoun County Unmet Housing Needs Strategic Planning Process Underway
Loudoun County is developing an Unmet Housing Needs Strategic Plan whose purpose it to define how the county will address unmet housing needs in a systematic and comprehensive way with integrated programs. The plan will also aim to identify housing targets over the short term - the next five years - and the long term. Get involved and learn more.
Continuum of Care Overview
The Loudoun County Continuum of Care (CoC) is a community coalition of public, nonprofit, and faith-based organizations that provide a variety of shelter and support services to persons who are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless. The overarching goal of the group is to ensure that there is a continuum of services to meet the needs of homeless persons in the community. The group meets monthly. Loudoun County Department of Family Services provides staff support to the Continuum of Care.
Services for Those In Need
- Cold Weather Shelter, Coordinated Entry Services, Drop-in Center, Emergency Shelters and Transitional Housing
Programs & Partnerships
- Data Collection - Collection – Homeless Management Information System, HUD Notice of Funding Availability, Permanent Supportive Housing, Point-in-Time Count and Virginia Homeless Solutions Program
- View 2019 Notice of Available Funding (with a deadline for applications of August 30, 2019) Opens a New Window. . Opens a New Window.
- FY2019 Notice of Funding Availability (NoFA) materials submitted to HUD:
- View the 2018 materials submitted to HUD:
- Original Permanent Supportive Housing Program Opens a New Window.
- Permanent Supportive Housing Reallocation Program Opens a New Window.
- Project Priority Listing submitted to HUD Opens a New Window. , showing the ranking of each project.
- The Continuum of Care Consolidated Application Opens a New Window.
Key Activities of the CoC
- Collects data about homelessness in Loudoun County; Conducts annual Point-in-Time homeless count in January
- Leads the process for the development of a Ten-Year Plan to End Homelessness for Loudoun County (Ten-Year Plan Work Group meets monthly)
- Maintains homeless management information system (HMIS)
- Operates the Coordinated Entry System to assist those experiencing a housing crisis.
- Provides a forum for service providers to network and to collaborate on funding applications for homeless services
For questions or more information, contact Continuum of Care Coordinator, by emailing Jennifer Hope Opens a New Window. or call the Department of Family Services at 703-777-0353.
More Information is Online
- Homeless in Northern Virginia: Local Communities Respond to Preventing and Ending Homelessness (PDF) Opens a New Window.
- List of Loudoun County Continuum of Care Member Organizations (PDF) Opens a New Window.
- Northern Virginia Homeless Shelters (PDF) Opens a New Window.
- Washington Area Council of Governments Regional Homeless Report for 2017 (PDF) Opens a New Window.