Taxes in Loudoun County
How to Pay Your Taxes
About Loudoun County Taxes
- Real Estate and Personal Property tax rates are set near the end of April by the Board of Supervisors.
- The Commissioner of Revenue then assesses Real Estate and Personal Property tax values.
- Annual tax bills are then prepared and mailed in May by the Treasurer.
- There is no local income tax.
- To get text alerts about taxes, including notices of upcoming deadlines, text TAXES to 888777.
- See a detailed list of Tax Rates.
Business License Tax / Business Personal Property Taxes
- Most businesses, including those which are home-based, are subject to a gross receipts tax and a personal property tax on business equipment.
- For more information, or to obtain the required forms, visit the Commissioner of the Revenue .
License Fee Information
- Beginning July 1, 2018, a License Fee of $25.00 will be assessed each tax year.
- Billing for the license fee will begin in 2019.
- Anyone who has questions may contact the Loudoun County Treasurer's Office at 703-777-0280 or by email Opens a New Window. .
Personal Property Taxes and Assessments
- Loudoun County collects personal property taxes on automobiles, motorcycles, trucks, boats, campers, mobile homes, trailers, and aircraft.
- Personal property taxes are due May 5 and October 5.
- Personal Property Tax Rate: $4.20 per $100
- A vehicle has situs for taxation in the county, or if it is registered to a county address with the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles.
- The assessment on these vehicles is determined by the Commissioner of the Revenue.
- Check your personal property tax status or make payments.
Real Estate Taxes and Assessments
- Real estate taxes are based on real property assessments and the real property tax rate, which is set annually by the Board of Supervisors.
- Real estate in Virginia is assessed at 100% of its fair market value.
- Loudoun County real estate taxes are collected twice a year. The due dates are June 5 and December 5.
- The 2019 Real Property Tax Rate for Regular District 1: $1.085 per $100 in assessed value.
- Have questions about real property assessments or fair market valuations? Visit the Commissioner of the Revenue.
- View specific parcel information at Loudoun County Real Estate Tax, Assessment and Parcel Database
Applying for Tax Relief or Exemptions
Land Use Assessment Program
- If real estate is used for agricultural, forestal or open space purposes, the owner may apply to have the land assessed for this use, which in most cases results in a lower assessed value.
- Learn more about the Land Use Assessment Program.
Tax Relief for the Elderly & Disabled
- Loudoun County offers real estate or personal property tax relief for qualifying elderly and permanently and totally disabled individuals.
- Learn more on
Tax Exemption for Revitalized Real Estate Program
- Property owners who substantially renovate or rehabilitate residential properties may be eligible for a partial exemption from real estate taxation.
- Apply using this application (PDF) Opens a New Window. .
Virginia State Taxes
Virginia Sales Tax
- 6% on nonfood items
- 2.5% on food items for home consumption
- 6% for communications including telephone (commercial, residential, wireless, and VOIP), cable TV, satellite TV, and radio (note: Internet access service is a nontaxable item)