Prior to approval of a record plat or site plan, the developer or property owner must provide a financial guarantee in the form of a corporate surety bond, a letter of credit from a bank, or cash to assure the timely construction and completion of improvements in accordance with the approved plans.
There are two types of bonds:
Erosion & Sediment Control Bonds
- For erosion and sediment control (E&S) permits, the bond, letter of credit, or cash guarantees that the site can be stabilized if the work is not completed.
- E&S bonding procedures are governed by Chapter 1220 of the Loudoun County Codified Ordinances.
- Find information regarding Erosion and Sediment Control Bonds.
Performance & Proffer Bonds
- Performance and proffer bonds guarantee that work shown on approved development plans can be completed.
- Performance and Proffer bonding is governed by Section 8.300 of the Loudoun County Facilities Standards Manual (PDF).
- Find information regarding Performance and Proffer Bonds.
Types of bonding collateral accepted (in order of preference):
- Cash (Certified Check or Cashier's Check)
- Letter of Credit from a Bank with a Highline Rating of 35 or better
- Corporate Surety Bond from an institution with a size of VIII or better and an AM Best rating of A or A+
- Find more information on preferred collateral.
- Bonds Information Line: 703-737-8942
- Email Bonds
- Bonding Documents
- Erosion and Sediment Control Program
- Building and Development Fee Schedule (PDF)
- Bond Reduction Guidelines