Preliminary Plats of Subdivisions
- Preliminary Plats of Subdivisions or Preliminary / Record Plats are required for all subdivisions other than Family Subdivisions, Division Plats, and Subdivision Waiver Plats.
- The Preliminary Plat shows the overall layout of the subdivision and shows the proposed improvements that will be provided to the development. It provides an overall view of the subdivision and shows how all the elements of the subdivision work together.
- For more information about the Preliminary Plat of Subdivision process please reference Section 1243.06 of the Land Subdivision and Development Ordinance.
- Elements shown on a Preliminary Plat include:
- Archaeological information
- Existing topography and soils information
- Floodplain information
- Locations of sidewalks, trails, parks, etc
- Predictive wetland areas
- Proposed location of water and wastewater treatment
- Proposed lot layout
- Proposed right-of-way layout and improvements
Subdivision Record Plats
- A Subdivision Record Plat is required subsequent to the approval or conditional approval of the preliminary plat of subdivision.
- The record plat must be in substantial conformance with the preliminary plat of subdivision.
- The record plat shows the actual location of the property lines, right-of-way, and easements.
- The record plat, once approved, is recorded at the Clerk of the Circuit Court and remains in the Land Records of Loudoun County.
- For more information about the record plat process please reference §1243.13 of the Land Subdivision and Development Ordinance.
Preliminary / Record Subdivision Plats
- For the subdivision of five lots or less, a combined Preliminary/Record Subdivision plat may be submitted.
- The Preliminary/ Record plat has all of the required detail as specified in the Land Subdivision and Development Ordinance and the Facilities Standards Manual for both the preliminary plat of subdivision and the record plat.
- For more information about the Preliminary Record Plat process please reference §1243.09 of the Land Subdivision and Development Ordinance.