Hal & Berni Hanson Regional Park Project
News and Announcements
- 09-24-22: The Hal & Berni Hanson Regional Park is now open! For details about the park's operations, visit loudoun.gov/hansonpark.
- The Hal and Berni Hanson Regional Park project includes the design and construction of a new 257-acre regional park located at 23345 Hanson Park Drive, in Aldie, between the Brambleton and Willowsford communities.
- The owner of the land -- Haldore ‘Hal’ Hanson, a writer, U.S. State Department official and nonprofit leader -- died in 1992.
- In keeping with the wishes of Hanson and his wife Berni, the Hanson Family Partnership agreed to sell the land to Loudoun County only for use as a park.
- The property was acquired in 2009 through negotiations with the Hanson family, Dominion Power and the National Park Service as a part of a United States Department of Interior program.
- The public helped shape the park’s features, and skate park designer Wally Holladay served as a design consultant.
- The project also includes road improvements to Evergreen Mills Road, which bisects the park, including a turn lane and a stop light at the entrance of the park.
- The park will include 17 athletic fields with lighting, and over 75 acres of passive recreational space and infrastructure.
- Ten multi-purpose soccer fields
- Four baseball/softball fields
- Cricket field
- Four tennis courts/Pickleball courts
- Two artificial turf fields
- Outdoor basketball court
- Two playgrounds with rubberized surface
- Batting cages @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
- Splash pad and playground with inclusive features
- Skate plaza
- Historic Lee-Hanson House renovation
- Five ponds and integrated irrigation system
- Fishing piers
- Lodge and nature center
- Picnic pavilions @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
- Off-leash areas for dogs
- Disc golf course
- Paved and natural surface trails
- Regional maintenance compound
- Administrative building
- Concession/restroom buildings and pavilions @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
- An equestrian facility is included in the master plan for future development, but is not currently funded.
- The park will be operated by the Loudoun County Department of Parks, Recreation and Community Services (PRCS).
Current Status: Complete
- Hal and Berni Hanson Regional Park will be operated by Parks, Recreation and Community Services (PRCS) and field space and facilities can be viewed at loudoun.gov/facilities. To reserve space, please complete a PRCS contact form at loudoun.gov/contactprcs.
Stay Informed About This Project
- View all project updates on Hal and Berni Hanson Regional Park
- Sign up for updates on this project in Notify Me, Blogs category.
- Hal and Berni Hanson Regional Park - Drone Video
- News Release - Hal and Berni Hanson Regional Park Ribbon Cutting and Grand Opening
- FY 2020 Hal and Berni Hanson Regional Park Proposed Budget (PDF)
- Hanson Park Master Plan Layout (PDF)
- If you have questions about this project, email county staffor call
- Email Glen Barbour, Public Information Officer or call