Hal & Berni Hanson Regional Park Project
- The Hal and Berni Hanson Regional Park project includes the design and construction of a new 257-acre regional park located on Evergreen Mills Road in Arcola, between the Brambleton and Willowsford communities.
- The owner of the land -- Haldore ‘Hal’ Hanson, a writer, state department official and non-profit leader -- died in 1992.
- In keeping with the wishes of Hanson and his wife Berni, the Hanson Family Partnership agreed to sell the land to Loudoun County only for use as a park.
- The property was acquired in 2009 through negotiations with the Hanson family, Dominion Power and the National Park Service as a part of a United States Department of Interior program.
- The public helped shape the park’s features, and skate park designer Wally Holladay served as a design consultant.
- The project also includes road improvements to Evergreen Mills Road, which bisects the park, including a turn lane and a stop light at the entrance of the park.
- The park will include 17 athletic fields with lighting, and over 75 acres of passive recreational space and infrastructure.
- Ten multi-purpose soccer fields
- Four baseball/softball fields
- Cricket field
- Four tennis courts
- Two artificial turf fields
- Outdoor basketball court
- Two playgrounds with rubberized surface
- Batting cages @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
- Splash pad and playground with inclusive features
- Skate plaza
- Historic Lee-Hanson House renovation
- Five ponds and integrated irrigation system
- Fishing piers
- Lodge and nature center
- Picnic pavilions @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
- Off-leash areas for dogs
- Disc golf course
- Paved and natural surface trails
- Regional maintenance compound
- Administrative building
- Concession/restroom buildings and pavilions @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
- An equestrian facility is included in the master plan for future development, but is not currently funded.
- The park will be operated by the Loudoun County Department of Parks, Recreation and Community Services.
- Construction is expected to be complete by spring of 2022.
Current Status: November 2020
- Ongoing work throughout the park includes earthwork, asphalt paving, curb and gutter installation, construction of site utilities, installation of underground electric, and renovation of Lee-Hanson House.
- Paving of the tennis courts is now complete.
- Work at the maintenance complex continues including construction of the concrete masonry unit (CMU) walls and installation of roofing and siding.
- Work at the administration building continues, including the start of CMU walls and setting of the door frames.
- Placement of concrete and installation of shotcrete (sprayed concrete) at the walls and ramps of the skate park have begun.
- Layout of the tee boxes for the disc golf course has begun.
- Grading at the Lodge building started.
- For safety and as this is an active construction site, no trespassing during construction. Security cameras were installed on the project due to evidence of construction site trespassing.
Stay Informed About This Project
- View all project updates on Hal and Berni Hanson Regional Park
- Sign up for updates on this project in Notify Me, Blogs category.
- FY 2020 Hal and Berni Hanson Regional Park Proposed Budget (PDF)
- Hanson Park Master Plan Layout (PDF)
- If you have questions about this project, email county staff or call 703-737-8624.
- Email Glen Barbour, Public Information Officer or call 703-771-5086.