Vanpools can be a convenient, reliable and cost-effective choice for people who live 15 or more miles from work and maintain a consistent schedule. In a vanpool, members share the expense of a leased commuter van, minivan or SUV.
Local and national vanpool companies work with interested commuters to arrange vehicle leases and insurance, coordinate billing, screen drivers and oversee procedures for servicing vehicles. Most providers offer month-to-month leases. Loudoun County does not own, lease or operate vanpool vehicles but helps commuters form and join vanpools.
The benefits of vanpooling include:
- Members have a reserved seat on a customized route.
- Groups are eligible for financial support in exchange for providing monthly ridership reports.
- A vanpool can begin with as few as four commuters.
Programs and Incentives
Loudoun County residents and employees may register for the following programs and incentives. Select the tabs below to read more.
These programs and incentives are provided in partnership with Commuter Connections, a regional network of transportation organizations. For more information, including how to sign-up, visit Commuting Programs and Incentives.
- Vanpool Alliance supports vanpools by providing marketing, help maintaining ridership and $300 per month in exchange for regular, information updates. Vanpools traveling to or from Loudoun County with seven to 15 passengers are eligible. Visit Vanpool Alliance for details.
- Find out how vanpools are arranged, how much it costs and more by visiting our Vanpools FAQ.
- Commuter vehicles are available for lease from several area providers. Visit Vanpool Providers for details.
For personalized trip planning or help with other transportation questions, please call 703-771-5665 or email us.