Sharps, syringes, and hypodermic needles (from a household) may be disposed of safely in the following manner:
- Place items in sharps container or opaque, rigid plastic bottle.
- Non-Sharps Container Example: Empty laundry detergent bottle
- If an opaque, rigid plastic bottle is used, please tape the top and mark it "Do Not Recycle."
- Check online for mail-back sharps container programs, search for "medical sharps disposal services".
- If there is no mail-back program available, containers may be thrown away in the trash, or brought to the Loudoun County Landfill for a fee.
- This is for Loudoun County residents only.
- If it is not from a resident, it is not accepted at the Loudoun County Landfill and should handled by a regulated medical waste contractor for disposal.