- Departments & Offices
- Virginia Cooperative Extension - Loudoun
- Agriculture & Natural Resources
Agriculture & Natural Resources
VCE Loudoun Agriculture and Natural Resources increases the sustainability of agricultural operations by providing education programs and technical information relating to production agriculture, recreational farming, horse ownership, commercial horticulture, community horticulture, agronomy, pesticide application safety, natural resource conservation, water quality management and soil health.
Our agriculture programming provides educational programs and technical information relating to production agriculture, recreational farming, agripreneurship, horse ownership, horticulture, pesticide application safety, natural resource conservation, water quality management, and soil health.
Thee Commercial Horticulture Program offers technical and educational support in production and management, including pesticide safety and certification trainings, for horticultural crops such as Christmas trees, ornamental trees, turf, greenhouse plants, vegetables, grapes, fruits, and specialty crops for farmers and agricultural workers. Technical and educational support is also provided for professionals and workers in the green industry. To learn more, email Beth Sastre.
Through the Master Gardener Program, VCE Loudoun recruits and trains volunteers to assist the public on horticultural matters. Master Gardener volunteers provide educational programming on vegetables, fruits, ornamental, lawns, yard waste management, insects, diseases, weeds, and water quality.
Crops Suitability Tool
VCE Loudoun has created a tool by combining soil types, aspect (slope orientation), and percentage of slope to determine the best and least suitable site in which to grow crops in Loudoun County, Virginia.
Sustainable Agriculture Resources
VCE Loudoun has programs and assistance for Loudoun residents to help increase the sustainability of agricultural operations and improve soil health. In addition, other local, state and federal resources are available to help large and small farms achieve even better energy and environmental outcomes. Offerings include financial and technical assistance as well as peer-to-peer consulting.
- Local agritourism, marketing and farming resources specific to Loudoun County: LoudounFarms.org and Loudoun County Economic Development Agriculture and Related Businesses
- Healthy soil is the foundation of productive, sustainable agriculture. The Loudoun Soil and Water Conservation District pairs cost-share funds and peer-to-peer consulting with farming best practices.
- Federal financial assistance and programs for farmers and landowners plus technical assistance related to soils, plants and animals: nrcs.usda.gov
- Free one-on-one support to address conservation concerns and help plan for the future: farmers.gov/conservation
For questions or more information on these programs, please contact the Virginia Cooperative Extension at 703-777-0373 or email.