Business Tax Appeals
- Any person or business assessed a business, professional and occupational license (BPOL), machinery and tools, business tangible personal property or a consumer utility tax may seek a review of his or her assessment.
- This process provides taxpayers a means to address assessment or filing issues.
- If you believe that your assessment is incorrect or that a filing error was made, you can file an appeal using the Loudoun County Business Tax Appeal Process (PDF).
- Collect the necessary documentation and email the appeal to the Compliance Division of the Office of the Commissioner of the Revenue.
- If you need assistance completing the appeal application or have questions regarding the assessment of local taxes, please email the Business Tax Division or call at (703) 777-0260.
- For BPOL, within one year from the last day of the tax year for which such assessment is made, or within one year from the date of such assessment.
- For machinery and tools, business tangible personal property, bank franchise, transient occupancy, short-term rental or consumer utility taxes within three years from the last day of the tax year for which such assessment is made or within one year from the date of the assessment, whichever is later.
- Frequently Asked Questions: Business Tax Administrative Appeals
- Loudoun County Business Tax Appeal Process (PDF)
- Loudoun County, VA Codified Ordinances, Chapter 840
- Statutory Authority Granted by State of Virginia
- Process for Submitting an Appeal Application for Review to a Local Assessing Officer
- Virginia Department of Taxation Guidelines for Appealing Local Business Taxes
- Code of Virginia §58.1- Taxation
Utilization of this appeal process in no way affects a taxpayer's ability to seek remedy for an erroneous assessment in Circuit Court.