News and Announcements
Food Waste Composting Drop-Off Center Opens at Landfill
In November 2023, Loudoun County began accepting food waste at the Food Waste Composting Drop-Off Center at the landfill. This is a one-year pilot program intended for residents who are interested in composting their household food scraps such as fruits and vegetables, meats, dairy products, pasta, eggshells and coffee grounds. Quantities accepted are limited to one 5-gallon container or an equivalent amount, per customer, per week. Learn more about what is accepted and what is not accepted for food waste composting (PDF).
Paper Shredding and Document Destruction Services
Loudoun County does not offer paper shredding services.
Below is a list of local paper shredding and document destruction service providers:
- Leesburg Document Shred Events - Town of Leesburg residents only, events are held twice a year - in the spring and fall.
- Office Depot stores located in Leesburg and Sterling provide paper shredding services; fees apply.
- Securis located in Chantilly provided paper shredding during its monthly electronics recycling events. The cost is $10 per 10 inch by 12 inch by 15 inch box.
- Shred Nations located inside the UPS Store in Leesburg provides shredding services; fees apply.
- Staples in Leesburg provides paper shredding services at store locations; fees apply.
Plastic Bag Recycling
Loudoun County does not offer plastic bag recycling.
Find a plastic bag recycling facility near you.
- Plastic bags, films, and wraps may be recycled at participating locations.
- All bags must be clean, dry, and free of food residue.
- Do not place plastic bags in curbside recycling bins or at the Recycling Drop-off Centers
Bring Your Own Bag
Loudoun County has a disposable plastic bag tax of five cents ($0.05) per plastic bag used for purchases made at grocery stores, convenience stores and drugstores countywide, including those within the county’s incorporated towns. Shoppers can avoid the bag fee by bringing their own bags.
Donating Used Items
- Residents and businesses are encouraged to donate reusable items to donation centers.
- Donation centers in the county are listed below and should be contacted directly for accepted items.
- This list is not all-inclusive. Inclusion on this list does not imply an endorsement of the organization or their services by Loudoun County.
- Organizations interested in being added to this list should contact 703-771-5500 or email us.
Donation Centers in Loudoun County
- Blossom and Bloom
110 West Market Street
Leesburg, VA 20111
- Good Shepherd Alliance
20921 Davenport Drive
Sterling, VA 20165
Goodwill Retail Store and Donation Center
Habitat for Humanity ReStore
Exeter Shopping Center
700 Fieldstone Drive
Leesburg, VA 20176
20684 Ashburn Road
Ashburn, VA 20147
11-A Loudoun Street SW
Leesburg, VA 20175
The Salvation Army Donation Center
Twice is Nice Thrift Shop
305 E Market Street
Leesburg, VA 20176
Women Giving Back
20 Export Drive
Sterling, VA 20164