A to Z Local Recycling Resources

Want to know how to recycle something in Loudoun County? Follow the waste type below for recycling options.
If your item is not included on this list, please call us at 703-771-5500 for recycling options.  If you would like to see an item added to the list, please email a request to Waste Management.

Aluminum Beverage Cans

  • Aluminum beverage cans are accepted free-of-charge at the Loudoun County recycling centers.
  • Also, firms that purchase scrap metal (including aluminum beverage cans) may be located in the yellow pages under "scrap metal."



Bags, Plastic Grocery

  • Plastic grocery bags are accepted for recycling at most grocery stores.
  • In addition to grocery bags, Washington Post newspaper delivery bags are also accepted at Giant, Safeway and Shoppers Food Warehouse.
  • For more information on plastic bag, film, and wrap recycling, visit loudoun.gov/recycle.


  • Automotive batteries are accepted free-of-charge at the Loudoun County Solid Waste Management Facility Recycling Center, Monday through Saturday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
  • You may also return a used auto battery to the place where you are purchasing a new battery.
  • Rechargeable batteries are accepted at Home Depot store entrances. Visit the Rechargeable Battery Recycling Corporation for additional collection locations.
  • Alkaline batteries (AA, AAA, C, D, etc.) are accepted at Loudoun County Household Hazardous Waste Events for recycling (residents only), free of charge. Businesses may participate in the Business Hazardous Waste Program to recycle alkaline batteries for a fee. Battery recycling services also may be found online. Some charge a fee. Call2Recycle is an organization that offers free battery recycling options and helps businesses and organizations set up collection programs.
  • Button batteries, such as those used in hearing aids and wrist watches may be returned for recycling at the Wal-Mart jewelry counter, or they may be brought to the County's Household Hazardous Waste Collection Events (if they are from a household).


  • The Washington Area Bicycle Association sponsors Bikes for the World, which collects repairable bicycles in the United States, donating them to charities overseas for productive use by those in need of affordable transport.


Bottles & Cans

CDs & DVDs

  • Securis in Chantilly, 703-436-1967, recycles CDs and DVDs.
  • More information about CD and DVD recycling is available online at the CD Recycling Center of America website.

Cell Phones

Christmas Trees


  • Planet Aid containers are available at multiple locations for drop-off of clean clothes and usable shoes. Place items in a plastic bag, tie bag shut, and place inside the yellow drop box. Thrift shops, churches, and other charitable organizations may also accept lightly worn items.

Clothing Hangers, Wire

  • Many dry cleaners will accept used wire coat hangers from customers. Consult the yellow pages under "cleaners."

Compact Fluorescent Lamps (CFLs)

  • CFLs are the energy efficient light bulbs that screw into light sockets in table lamps and overhead lights.
  • Take CFLs to any Home Depot Store customer service desk for recycling. 
  • Do not dispose with regular garbage because fluorescent lights contain mercury. The Department of General Services, Waste Management Division, has instructions online on how to clean up a broken CFL.
  • CFLs may also be taken to the county's Household Hazardous Waste Collection Events (if they are from a household).


  • Loudoun County Solid Waste Management Facility
    • Food Waste Composting: In November 2023, Loudoun County began accepting food waste at the Food Waste Composting Drop-Off Center at the Loudoun County landfill. The one-year pilot program is for residents who are interested in composting their household food scraps such as fruits and vegetables, meats, dairy products, pasta, eggshells and coffee grounds. Quantities accepted are limited to one 5-gallon container or an equivalent amount, per customer, per week. View the guidelines (PDF).
    • The landfill accepts leaves and grass clippings from Loudoun residents and businesses for composting, fees apply.
  • U.S. Environmental Protection Agency "Composting at Home"
  • Key City Compost – composting service providing residential and commercial collection of food waste in Loudoun County, fees apply.
  • Worm Works LLC – Loudoun-based composting service providing residential and commercial collection of food waste in Loudoun County, fees apply.

Computers & Other Electronics

Fluorescent Light Bulbs or Tubes


  • Furniture is accepted by churches and other charitable organizations.
  • Refer to yellow pages under "churches" and "thrift shops."
  • Also, see "Donating Used Items" on our recycling webpage page for local donation options.

Junk Mail


Metal, Scrap

  • Consult the local yellow pages for Scrap Metals.
  • Also, the Loudoun County Solid Waste Management Facility accepts scrap metal, appliances, etc for recycling. See Solid Waste Management Facility for hours, services, and more information.

Motor Oil

Paper, Office

Phone Books

Smoke Detectors

  • Smoke detectors may be thrown away in the trash or taken to the Loudoun County landfill for a fee.
  • Many manufacturers offer take-back programs.


  • Styrofoam shipping peanuts are accepted at packing and shipping stores.
  • Styrofoam is not accepted at any of the county Recycling Drop-off Centers.
  • Styrofoam is not accepted with curbside recycling.
  • There are no local options for recycling Styrofoam block or Styrofoam containers.


  • Tires are accepted for a fee at the Loudoun County Solid Waste Management Facility.
  • Tires with rims are accepted, but an additional fee will be charged for the rim. Hours are Monday through Saturday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
  • You may also dispose of old tires at the place where new tires are purchased (normally for a fee - call first).

Toner Cartridge

  • Toner cartridges accepted at Staples and at U.S. Post Office locations. To set up a free toner cartridge collection program from your business, contact Enterprise PC Services in Herndon, Virginia, at 703-472-1232.
  • Many mail-back programs accept ink and toner cartridges. Examples include Quill Ink Cartridge Recycling.

VHS and Cassette Tapes

  • VHS tapes are not considered hazardous and may be disposed as regular trash. 
  •  If you want to recycle them contact Green Disk or by calling 800-305-3475.