Recycling Drop-Off Centers
Recycling dumpsters are emptied every Monday, Thursday, and Saturday at all locations except Leesburg Wal-Mart and Sterling Park. Sterling Park is emptied on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.
Recycling Center Locations
Acceptable Bottles, Cans, Etc.
- Jugs (milk jugs, laundry detergent bottles, etc.)
- Margarine tubs
- Microwavable food trays
- Yogurt cups
- No Styrofoam; no plastic bags; no motor oil or antifreeze bottles; no pesticide or herbicide containers; no other plastics.
- Steel cans and tin cans such as:
- Aluminum beverage and food cans
- Aluminum foil
- Coffee cans
- Empty aerosol cans
- Metal lids
- No screws or nails
- Pet food cans and lids
- Pie pans
- Soup cans and vegetable cans
- No large aluminum items or "scrap metal"
- Glass bottles and jars only (No other glass items)
- Milk cartons, orange juice cartons, and soup boxes (emptied and lightly rinsed)
Acceptable Paper, Cardboard, Etc.
- Flattened cardboard and paperboard
- cardboard boxes
- cereal boxes
- tissue boxes
- shoe boxes
- Pizza box tops (no greasy paper or leftovers)
- Newspapers, magazines, catalogs, junk mail
- Phonebooks, paperback books, hardcover books (text books, etc.).
- Office paper (paper clips and staples are okay):
- Computer printouts
- Copy paper
- File folders
- Post-it notes
- Shredded paper (contained in a bag)
- Paper bags
- Craft paper, poster board, wrapping paper, gift wrap (no ribbons or bows)
All Loudoun County locations accept recyclables comingled. Cardboard boxes, paper, plastic containers, metal cans and glass containers are mixed together in the same recycling bin. The Leesburg Wal Mart recycling center, which is operated by the Town of Leesburg, accepts paper recyclables mixed together with the plastic, metal and glass recyclables, but cardboard is accepted separately.
Absolutely no Styrofoam packaging or Styrofoam peanuts should be deposited at any of the recycling centers. Remove all Styrofoam, plastic wrap, and other plastic packaging from cardboard boxes prior to recycling and discard with your regular household garbage. No plastic bags.
Items left on site or "donated for reuse" such as furniture, exercise equipment, toys, or anything not included in the above "Materials Accepted" list are considered illegal dumping.
Pour out any remaining liquids or foods from bottles, cans and jars. Some food residue in cans and bottles is okay. If you choose to rinse out your recyclables, only lightly rinse or use left-over dishwater to help conserve water.
If your recyclables are in plastic bags, empty them into the designated recycling bin, and take your bag with you to reuse or dispose with your household garbage. Do not attach plastic bags to the recycling bins, and do not deposit plastic bags in the recycling bins. Bags left at the recycling centers become litter or are mixed in with the recyclables and cause mechanical problems at sorting facilities. Plastic grocery bags should be returned to grocery stores for recycling.
Recycling dumpsters are emptied every Monday, Thursday, and Saturday at all locations except at Leesburg WalMart and Sterling Park. Sterling Park is emptied on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.
Call 703-771-5500, Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.