Short-Term Residential Rentals
Registering a Short-Term Residential Rental
Operators of short-term residential rentals in Loudoun are required to register their properties online Opens a New Window. annually as of July 1, 2018.
Registration is free.
After completing the registration form, operators will receive a confirmation e-mail with a copy of the registration for their records. Operators who do not register with the county may face a fine of $500 per violation.
More information about the registration process and the exemptions may be found in this Short-Term Residential Registration Fact Sheet Opens a New Window. that you may download or print.
Current Considerations Regarding Short-Term Rentals
Anyone who currently operates, or is considering operating, a short term residential rental in Loudoun County should consider the following:
- Contact Zoning Administration if you have questions about using your property for a short-term residential rental based on the Zoning Ordinance . They will also determine if you will need a Zoning Permit. You can contact zoning administration by submitting a request online Opens a New Window. , or by calling 703-777-0246.
- Contact the Health Department to determine what is required for a short-term residential rental. You can contact the department by email or by phone at 703-777-0234.
- If you live in a homeowners or condo association, contact your association to verify their regulations regarding short-term rentals.
- If you live in an incorporated town, contact the town for information regarding their regulations.
- There may be tax requirements associated with operating a short-term rental. Learn more about business taxes.
For more information about the short-term residential rentals initiative, contact David L. Street in the Office of the County Administrator at 703-777-0200 or email David Street Opens a New Window. .
Read more about the short-term residential rentals initiative and work plan.