Short-Term Residential Rentals
A short-term residential rental is the provision of a room or space that is suitable or intended for occupancy for dwelling, sleeping, or lodging purposes, for a period of fewer than 30 consecutive days, in exchange for a charge for the occupancy.
Loudoun County established a short-term residential rental registration ordinance intended to help the county monitor and evaluate the growing industry of short-term residential rentals. The registry established by the ordinance created a channel for the county to provide operators of short-term residential rentals with important business-related information and resources.
Zoning Ordinance Amendment (ZOAM) Regarding Short-Term Rentals
On April 4, 2023, the Board of Supervisors adopted an amendment to the Zoning Ordinance that established short term rental uses.
Registration Requirements for Short-Term Residential Rentals
Operators of short-term residential rentals in Loudoun are required to register their properties online annually. Registration is free and active July 1 - June 30.
After completing the registration form, operators will receive a confirmation e-mail with a copy of the registration for their records. Operators who do not register with the county may face a fine of $500 per violation.
- Real estate professionals licensed by the Commonwealth of Virginia Real Estate Board.
- Property owners who are represented by a real estate professional licensed by the Commonwealth of Virginia Real Estate Board.
- A person registered pursuant to the Virginia Real Estate Time-Share Act (§ 55-360 et seq.) of the Code of Virginia, 1950, as amended.
- A person licensed or registered with the Commonwealth of Virginia Department of Health, related to the provision of room or space for lodging.
- A person licensed or registered with Loudoun County, related to the rental or management of real estate, including licensed real estate professionals, hotels, motels, campgrounds, and bed and breakfast establishments.
Other Regulations Regarding Short-Term Residential Rentals
Towns and HOAs
Transient Occupancy Tax
Beginning July 1, 2023, Loudoun County’s ordinance, Chapter 878 – Transient Occupancy Tax, applies to lodging facilities that offer lodging or accommodations for compensation to one or more persons.