Short-Term Residential Rentals
What is a Short-Term Residential Rental?
The provision of a room or space that is suitable or intended for occupancy for dwelling, sleeping, or lodging purposes, for a period of fewer than 30 consecutive days, in exchange for a charge for the occupancy.
Registering a Short-Term Residential Rental
Other Regulations Regarding Short-Term Residential Rentals
Anyone who currently operates, or is considering operating, a short term residential rental in Loudoun County should consider the following:
Are short-term residential rental operators currently subject to local taxes?
- Yes. Short-term residential rental operators are currently required to file and pay all applicable taxes if they meet the filing requirements.
- The filing requirement for the transient occupancy tax is the ability to “lodge four or more persons at one time.” For the Business, Professional, and Occupational License tax, the requirement is the provision of “in excess of seven bedrooms.”
- For questions, email the Commissioner of the Revenue or call 703-777-0260.
- Contact Zoning Administration if you have questions about using your property for a short-term residential rental based on the Zoning Ordinance . They will also determine if you will need a Zoning Permit. You can contact zoning administration by submitting a request online Opens a New Window. , or by calling 703-777-0246.
- Contact the Health Department to determine what is required for a short-term residential rental. You can contact the department by email or by phone at 703-777-0234.
- The Health Department reviews the specifics of the rental to determine if the property meets the definition of a Bed and Breakfast.
Towns and HOAs
- If you live in a homeowners or condo association, contact your association to verify their regulations regarding short-term rentals.
- If you live in an incorporated town, contact the town for information regarding their regulations.
For more information about the short-term residential rentals initiative, email Loudoun County Public Affairs and Communications.
Read more about the short-term residential rentals initiative and work plan.