Evergreen Mills Road / Watson Road Safety Audit and Improvements
Evergreen Mills Road (Route 621) is a two-lane undivided roadway that provides east-west (non-tolled) access from Route 15 to Loudoun County Parkway. Watson Road (Route 860) is a two-lane undivided roadway that provides a north-south connection from U.S. Route 50 to Evergreen Mills Road.
These roads carry relatively high levels of traffic during peak hours, as it provides an alternate route to James Monroe Highway (Route 15), John Mosby Highway (Route 50), the Dulles Greenway (Route 267), and Loudoun County Parkway (Route 606).
Safety Audit and Improvements
A road safety audit was conducted in 2017 and 2018 to examine Evergreen Mills Road between Battlefield Parkway and Loudoun County Parkway and Watson Road between Evergreen Mills Road and Route 50 and made recommendations for improvements.
On July 19, 2018, the Board of Supervisors (Board) allocated $1.2 million to fund various short-term improvements and countermeasures at this intersection to address safety and visibility issues such as:
- Tree trimming
- Traffic signal modifications
- Flashing warning beacons
- Pole-mounted speed display signs
- Reflective markings on guardrails and wider edge line pavement markings
- Variable message signs to alert drivers to speed and congestion issues
The safety audit also identified mid-term projects, which would take approximately 1-5 years to implement. On March 5, 2019, the Board forwarded the following mid-term projects to a future fiscal year of the Capital Improvement Program budget for further discussion, evaluation and prioritization:
- The Evergreen Mills Road Realignment Project is already underway to realign Watson Road with Reservoir Road.
- A left-turn lane near the Evergreen SportsPlex.
- Mumble strips at roadway departure locations north of Fleetwood Road/Creighton Road.
- A study of possible traffic signals or roundabouts at Evergreen Mills Road’s intersections with Crimson Place/Red Cedar Drive and Shreve Mill Road.
- Design of law enforcement areas corridor-wide.
Long-term projects identified during the safety audit, which would take approximately 5+ years to implement, will be considered in the future depending upon the need for additional improvements to these corridors.
Current Status: April 2020
- Installation of pole mounted speed display signs, a short-term safety improvement for both Evergreen Mills Road and Watson Road, will begin in approximately four to six weeks. Temporary lane closures may occur in several locations along Evergreen Mills Road and Watson Road to safely install the devices.
- Next month, work to improve the Shreve Mill Road and Evergreen Mills Road intersection will begin on Shreve Mill Road with the construction a right turn lane onto northbound Evergreen Mills Road. Following completion of the right turn lane, the contractor will begin work on southbound Evergreen Mills Road to construct a left turn lane onto Shreve Mill Road.
- Evergreen Mills Road turn lanes at The Woods Road are now open. This Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) intersection improvement project, Woods Road Phase II added turn lanes at the intersection of The Woods Road and Evergreen Mills Road.
Stay Informed About This Project
- View all updates on the Evergreen Mills and Watson Road Safety Audit and Improvements.
- Sign up for updates on this project in Notify Me, Blogs category.
- Opens a New Window.Project Status Update - April 10, 2018 (PDF) Opens a New Window. Opens a New Window.
- Open House Presentation - July 31, 2018 (PDF) Opens a New Window.
- Open House Meeting Boards - July 31, 2018 (PDF) Opens a New Window.
- Opens a New Window. Instructions on how to relocate an existing mailbox (PDF) Opens a New Window. Opens a New Window.
- Questions on the project can be emailed to county staff or by calling 703-737-8299.
- Email Glen Barbour, Public Affairs and Communications Officer or call 703-771-5086.