- Sign up for news and updates related to Environment and Energy in Notify Me, News Flash Category
- View all news and updates related to Environment and Energy.
Increasing environmental sustainability and resilience for the health, safety and welfare of Loudoun residents and businesses is a strategic initiative of the Loudoun County Board of Supervisors. Current efforts include:
- Implementing the Environmental and Energy Work Plan approved by the Board of Supervisors at the Board's Environmental Summit July 27, 2022. Find details in this news release.
- Updating the county's Energy Strategy. View the update presented to the Board of Supervisors October 18, 2022.
- Amending Chapter 825 of the Codified Ordinances of Loudoun, which governs the Commercial Property Assessed Clean Energy (C-PACE) Program, to expand eligible properties and projects to align with the full extent of Virginia’s Clean Energy Financing Law;
- Investigating the potential for executing Power Purchase Agreements as a tool for expanding use of renewable energy sources;
- Review of the county fleet and alternative energy sources, specifically electric, hybrid and natural gas options;
- Estimate of resources needed to replace or update the County Energy Strategy.
The county's Environmental Commission is building an environmental strategy for the Board of Supervisors to consider. The commission, which includes a wide range of representation from the community, industry and higher education, is currently focusing on five key topic areas:
- Energy sustainability, including clean and renewable energy usage;
- Enhancing natural resources, such as trees, wildlife, watersheds, and land conservation;
- Environmental justice, which examines the impact of environmental issues on underserved populations;
- “Government by example,” which includes programs to enhance the sustainability of Loudoun County government operations;
- Increasing public engagement in environmental and sustainability initiatives.