- Departments & Offices
- Building & Development
- Residential Construction Permits
Residential Construction Permits
You must obtain permits from the appropriate County agencies and Towns before beginning construction in Loudoun County.
Permits are typically required for the following residential projects:
- Finished basements
- Garages and sheds
- Mobile homes
- New homes
- Spas and hot tubs
- Renovations Additions
- Retaining walls
- Woodstoves, pellet stoves and fireplaces
The following permits are required for residential construction:
- Building Permit: Three sets of plans are required. Plans shall include a foundation plan, floor framing plan, roof framing plan, wall sections, floor plans, and elevations. Please note: If your property is served by a private well and septic system, four sets of plans are needed.
- Electrical Permit
- Gas Permit
- Mechanical Permit
- Occupancy Permit: New construction only
- Plumbing Permit
- Zoning Permit
You may need these additional permits for residential construction:
- Grading Permit: If disturbing 5,000 square feet or more; may be required for properties in the Mountainside Development Overlay District or properties that have steep slopes, as determined by the Office of Mapping and Geographic Information.
- Health Permit: If property is served by well or septic. Contact Health Department at (703) 777- 0234.
- Commercial jobs require plan review. Typically, residential jobs do not require plan review.
- Submit plans for review along with the application.
- Electrical, gas, mechanical and plumbing plan review: Submit one set of plans (may need to be stamped and sealed).
- Fire plan review: Submit one set of stamped and sealed plans, along with calculations and cut sheets.
- Call us at 703-777-0220 with any questions; plan reviewers are available 8:30 a.m. until 4 p.m., Monday through Friday.
- Building, electrical, fire suppression, gas, plumbing and mechanical work each requires separate applications and permits.
- These permits will not be issued from the application and architectural plans submitted for a Building Permit.
- Contractors must have a valid Virginia State Contractors License and Loudoun County Business License.
Mail Submissions To:
Department of Building and Development
P.O. Box 7000
Leesburg, VA 20177-7000