About the Department
The Department of General Services provides direct emergency and essential public works support to Loudoun County residents while providing effective and responsive facility and vehicle support to county government.
Loudoun County Energy Strategy
The Loudoun County Energy Efficiency and Conservation Program provides leadership, guidance, education and technical expertise to reduce energy consumption, improve energy efficiency, reduce energy costs, and facilitate energy conservation in county facilities. The Energy Strategy, a comprehensive, 30-year road map of energy strategies for the Loudoun County government and community, which was adopted by the Board of Supervisors in December 2009.
The CES provides a vision for Loudoun County to "always have reliable and affordable energy, be energy efficient, and have reduced greenhouse gases."
- Provides for operation, maintenance, and repair of structures, building systems, safety systems, site improvements, parking lots, and garages for county-owned facilities
- Manages county facility condition assessments, design and construction of major facility repair and maintenance projects, and workspace planning, design, and construction.
- Provides housekeeping services, pest control, integrated space management, and preventive, essential, and emergency maintenance services for the county's physical plant
- Responsible for the acquisition, build out, and management of leased facilities including workspace design, layout and installation of modular office systems, furnishing, and relocation services.
- Provides the acquisition, assignment, licensing, maintenance, outfitting, disposition and replacement of the county vehicle inventory which consists of buses, fire apparatus, general-purpose vehicles, heavy equipment, motorcycles, public safety vehicles, special-use vehicles and trailers.
- Manages vehicle maintenance in partnership with the Loudoun County Public Schools, using both school resources at the Vehicle Maintenance Facility and contracted service providers.
- Manages the county's vehicle operating and replacement funds.
- Manage and operate county mail room and courier services.
- Manage the county's central records and surplus property programs.
- Manage utility budgeting and accounting for all county-occupied facilities.
- Be an integral part of the county's emergency management and recovery operations, as one of the designated first responders to county emergencies resulting from natural or man-caused disasters.
- Develop and implement the county's stormwater management program and inspect, repair, maintain, and restore the stormwater infrastructure countywide.
- Install and maintain the street name signs in the county.
- Maintain public works structures and other selected public works operations.
- Operating the county's Solid Waste Management Facility (the Landfill)
- Managing public recycling drop-off centers and hazardous waste collections services
- Supporting recycling opportunities for electronics, automotive wastes, and other materials.