McGruff Safety Camps
McGruff Safety Camp 2020: July 27 - 31, 2020
About McGruff Safety Camp
Since the summer of 1988, Loudoun County residents have enjoyed the annual McGruff Safety Camp, which teaches important safety lessons to rising kindergartners and first graders. This camp is a collaborative effort between the Loudoun County Sheriff’s Office and the Loudoun County Combined Fire and Rescue Service.
Due to COVID-19, the 2020 McGruff Safety Camp will be conducted online – there will be no group or “hands-on” instruction. However, our McGruff camp team has been busy preparing lessons that can be attended virtually by the camper along with his or her parent or guardian. This virtual camp will be held from Monday, July 27 – Friday, July 31, 2020.
How it works
Each day the camper will be provided a number of short video lessons and activities to complete– each lesson about five to ten minutes, for a total of roughly an hour a day, Monday through Thursday. Lesson topics include: Crossing the Street, Fire Safety, Using 911, and Bicycle Safety, just to name a few. Links to these videos will be delivered to the registered camp participant’s parent or guardian every morning and can be completed at your convenience.
After completion of the day’s lessons, the parent or guardian can email the camp team questions to be answered. All questions received by 3:00 p.m. will be answered the following morning in the opening video. Some videos may also appear on social media so be sure to follow us at @loudounsheriff and @loudounfirerescue.
On Friday, July 31, we will hold a graduation for all those able to attend. The “graduates” of the camp will be invited to drive through a static display of equipment and personnel in the Leesburg area (location to be announced) between 10 a.m. and 1 p.m.. And of course, McGruff the Safety Dog and Sparky the Fire Dog will be on hand to congratulate all the participants!
Registration and Camp Details
- Register your campers using the McGruff Camp Registration Form
- Ensure your email system will allow receipt of a message from [email protected]
- Check your email daily for messages and further instruction
- From July 27-31, open the email message for videos and Q&A for each day
- During camp days, you can send in a question by 3:00 p.m. to be answered the next morning. You can optionally email a photo of your camper enjoying the online lessons for posting on our social media.
- On Friday, July 31 from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m., visit the in-person static display for “McGruff camp graduation”
If you have questions, please Email us or call Sergeant Matt Bressler at 703-771-5749.
Please donate to the McGruff Safety Camp program to help cover program costs and support this free summer safety camp.
Make checks payable to: Loudoun County Sheriff’s Office-McGruff Safety Camp
Loudoun County Sheriff’s Office
Attn: McGruff Safety Camp
P.O. Box 7200
Leesburg, VA 20177