- Departments & Offices
- Sheriff's Office
- Community Services
- Firearms Disposal
Did you know that the Loudoun County Sheriff's Office can assist you with disposing of unwanted firearms or ammunition? Sometimes people come into contact with these items while assisting an aging family member with moving or they simply no longer want them. No matter the case, the Loudoun County Sheriff's Office can assist you with this process.
The quickest and the preferred method to turn theses items over to the agency is to contact our non-emergency number at 703-777-1021 or 703-777-1025 to have a deputy respond to your home or business.
We ask that residents:
- Leave the weapon in a safe location and direct the deputy to its location. A deputy will ensure the firearm is unloaded and rendered safe before taking possession of it.
- During the process you will be asked to sign a form authorizing the destruction of the item or items.
If you wish to deliver the gun or ammunition to one of our stations, we ask that you please follow these steps:
- Ensure the weapon is unloaded and leave it in the trunk or rear of your vehicle, separate from any ammunition. Please do not bring a visible firearm into a station or are headquarters. Also, please make sure you have your driver's license or identification.
- After talking with a customer service representative at the front desk, a deputy will be called to the station to begin the process to authorize destruction of the items with you, and take possession of the gun or ammunition.
As with all firearms, please remember to follow these safety tips:
- Treat every Weapon as if it is Loaded
- Keep the Weapon Pointed in a Safe Direction
- Keep your Finger off of the Trigger
Residents who are uncomfortable handling the weapon or ammunition should use our preferred method of having a deputy come to your home or business.