The crime of forgery generally refers to the making of a fake document, the changing of an existing document, or the making of a signature without authorization. Documents that can be the object of forgery include contracts, identification cards, and legal certificates. (VA Code §18.2-168 to §18.2-173)
What To Do: A Checklist
- Call the law enforcement agency in which the crime occurred in and file a police report.
- Close any accounts that have been tampered with or established fraudulently.
- Call the security or fraud departments of each company where an account was opened or changed without your okay.
- Use the Identification Theft Affidavit.
- Ask for verification that the disputed account has been closed and the fraudulent debts discharged.
- Keep copies of documents and records of your conversations about the theft.