Steps to Follow
Follow these steps for what to do if your identity is stolen:
- Place a "Fraud Alert" on your credit reports, and review the reports carefully. The three nationwide consumer reporting companies have toll-free numbers for placing an initial 90-day fraud alert; a call to one company is sufficient:
- Equifax Phone: 800-525-6285
- Experian Phone: 888-397-3742
- TransUnion Phone: 800-680-7289
- Close any accounts that have been tampered with or established fraudulently.
- Call the security or fraud departments of each company where an account was opened or changed without your ok.
- Use the Identity Theft Affidavit.
- Ask for verification that the disputed account has been closed and the fraudulent debts discharged.
- Keep copies of documents and records of your conversations about the theft.
- File a police report.
- Report the theft to the Federal Trade Commission by phone at 877-438-4338 or TTY at 866-653-4261
- Complete the Virginia Attorney General Passport Application for identity theft.