Secondhand Dealer Permit
Loudoun County Code (Chapter 830) requires that a dealer purchasing items from the public and re-sells those items must obtain a second hand dealer permit.
A secondhand dealer is any entity engaged in the re-sale of the following items of personal property, previously owned or used, which are not purchased or sold as new:
- Computers, including their components and parts. This shall include personal computers (PCs), laptops and tablet devices; printers, scanners, monitors, webcams, speakers, hard drives, and digital storage devices
- Any other electronic device capable of:
- Playing data or digital media
- Global Positioning Systems
- Musical instruments
- Power tools
- Small home appliances, including vacuum cleaners, steam cleaners, coffee makers, and microwaves
The following are required by the Loudoun County Sheriff's Office to apply for a Secondhand Dealer permit:
- Application form, Release of Personal Information form, and Reporting Agreement form; all need to be signed and notarized.
- Valid, unexpired government issued picture identification.
- Applicants who were born outside of the United States must provide valid, unexpired proof of employment authorization such as a Permanent Resident Card, Employment Authorization Card, or proof of U.S. citizenship.
- Submit a fingerprint card (fingerprints may obtained at the Records Section at the Sheriff's Office at the time of application).
- Payment of $200 payable to Loudoun County Sheriff's Office by cash, check, or money order. Credit cards are not accepted for payment of permit fees.
- Please review these requirements carefully. Failure to provide any of the required information will delay issuance permit.