Route 7-690 Interchange
- This project funds the design, right-of-way acquisition, and construction of an interchange at Route 7 and Route 690 in Purcellville, located approximately two miles west of the Route 7/Berlin Turnpike interchange and approximately two miles east of the Route 7 and Business Route 7 interchange.
- The proposed Route 7/Route 690 interchange would alleviate connectivity issues in the roadway network around Purcellville, reduce traffic in downtown Purcellville and on Route 287, and provide a more direct route to destinations north and northeast of Route 7, including Woodgrove High School and Mountain View Elementary.
- A public information meeting on the design and location of the proposed interchange was held in April 2018 at Woodgrove High School to answer questions concerning the project and receive comments from the public on the proposed interchange project.
- The project has been awarded Virginia Department of Transportation Smart Scalefunding. This funding is scheduled to be provided in two installments of $5.5 million and $4.065 million in FY 2022 and FY 2023, respectively, bringing the project’s total budget to about $40.71 million.
- The Smart Scale program includes the use of Federal Funds. As a result, the project will follow Federal procedural requirements, including adhering to the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) process.
- As part of the NEPA process, an Environmental Assessment has been prepared to analyze and document the potential social, economic and environmental effects associated with the proposed interchange project. The NEPA document was revised in December of 2019 as a result of a plan revision to incorporate roundabouts at the intersections of the proposed on/off ramps with existing Hillsboro Road.
- The proposed project conceptual plans and revised environmental documents are available for review on this web page or at the office of the Department of Transportation and Capital Infrastructure.
Current Status: June 2022
- Loudoun County continues to address outstanding plat comments from the Town of Purcellville (plats include proposed right of way and/or easements needed for the project). Land acquisition is currently estimated for completion in fall 2022.
- Coordination with utility providers is ongoing.
- The revised Environmental Assessment has been approved by Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) and VDOT.
- In the fall of 2022, based on the appropriation timing, VDOT Smart Scale funding for the project and utility relocation is anticipated to begin.
- Construction of the proposed interchange is anticipated to begin in 2023 and will take an estimated 36-48 months to complete.
Stay Informed About This Project
- View all project updates on Route 7/690 Interchange
- Sign up for updates on this project in Notify Me, Blogs category.
- Route 7-690 Interchange - LACC Willingness for Public Comment (PDF)
- Route 7-690 Interchange - Exhibit
- Public Notice of Route 7 and 690 Interchange Revised Environmental Assessment (PDF)
- Revised Draft Environmental Assessment for Route 7 and 690 Interchange (PDF)
- Approved Environmental Assessment for Route 7 and 690 Interchange (PDF)
- Conceptual Plans for Route 7 and 690 Interchange (PDF)
- Search Board of Supervisors documents for information related to this project.
- If you have questions about this project, email county staff or call 703-737-8624.
- Email Glen Barbour, Public Information Officer or call 703-771-5086.