Northstar Boulevard: Shreveport Drive to Route 50
- This project will design and construct a new four-lane, median divided segment of Northstar Boulevard from Shreveport Drive to U.S. Route 50. The project scope includes a 10 foot wide shared use path on both sides of the roadway and a traffic signal at Route 50. At the northern end of the project, a new bridge will carry Northstar Boulevard over North Fork Broad Run. Evergreen Mills Road will then be realigned to the south to intersect with Northstar Boulevard.
- In conjunction with new construction, the project will improve two intersections:
- The intersection at Youngwood Lane will be realigned from its existing intersection with Racefield Lane to a new connection with Northstar Boulevard. This new connection will become the western end of the planned Dulles West Boulevard.
- Racefield Lane will be reconstructed and widened, and it will become the primary access point to the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) Arcola Area Headquarters.
- Once constructed, the new 1.6 mile segment of Northstar Boulevard will serve as a minor arterial roadway from John Mosby Highway (Route 50) to Shreveport Drive. It is also part of what will be a 14 mile, uninterrupted corridor extending from Route 7 south to the Prince William County line.
- Funding for the project includes a $25 million Fiscal Year 2017 Transportation Investment Generating Economic Recovery (TIGER) discretionary grant from the U.S. Department of Transportation. Funding for this $90 million project is also provided by VDOT, the Northern Virginia Transportation Authority and Loudoun County.
- The project is currently estimated for completion in mid-2024.
Current Status: May 2020
- In the first quarter of 2020, work on the preliminary design for the project was completed.
- Currently, the county is accepting contractor bids for a design/build contract.
- Work on the design phase of the design/build contract is estimated to begin by the end of 2020.
Stay Informed About This Project
- View all updates on Northstar Boulevard: Shreveport Drive to Route 50.
- Sign up for updates about this project on Notify Me, Blogs category.
- Quarterly Report on Capital Improvement Projects (PDF)
- Search Board of Supervisors documents for information related to this project.
- Draft Environmental Assessment May 2019 (PDF)
- Contact the Department of Transportation and Capital Infrastructure at (703) 777-0396 or email the department.
- Email Glen Barbour, Public Information Officer or call 703-771-5086.