Route 9 / Route 287 Roundabout
- The project consists of approximately one mile of roadway improvements, including a two-lane roundabout at the intersection of Route 9 and Route 287.
- Improvements will also include new drainage and stormwater facilities as well as relocation of some utilities.
- When complete, the project will significantly reduce existing traffic congestion, improve safety and provide a long-term, cost-effective solution for future maintenance.
- The Virginia Department of Conservation and Recreation, Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries, and the US Fish and Wildlife Service determined that the project should have no impact on threatened or endangered species.
Current Update: November 2020
- Loudoun County’s design consultant is working with the Department of Transportation and Capital Infrastructure to finalize the design and submit final plans for construction approval from all agencies in December 2020.
- In September, comments on the 90% roadway design plans and waiver submission were received from Loudoun County Business and Development (B&D) and the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT).
- Utility coordination is ongoing.
- Right of Way (ROW) acquisition is estimated to begin spring 2021.
Stay Informed About This Project
- View all project updates on Route 9/287 Roundabout.
- Sign up for updates on this project in Notify Me, Blogs category.
Anticipated Project Timeline
- Project Final Design: Winter 2020
- Land Acquisition: Spring 2021
- Utility Relocation: Summer 2021
- Construction Begins: Summer 2022
- Estimated Construction Duration: 24 months
Traffic Model Videos
View animated traffic model videos of roundabout movements during morning and evening peak travel hours:
- Morning Peak Traffic - Real Time View Video
- Morning Peak Traffic - Accelerated Time View Video
- Afternoon Peak Traffic - Real Time View Video
- Afternoon Peak Traffic - Accelerated Time View Video
- 6-25-19 Public Information Meeting Brochure (PDF)
- 6-25-19 Public Information Meeting Exhibit (PDF)
- 6-25-19 Public Information Meeting - Typical Sections (PDF)
- 6-25-19 Public Information Meeting Comment Sheet (PDF)