Route 9 / Route 287 Roundabout
- The project consists of approximately one mile of roadway improvements, including a two-lane roundabout at the intersection of Route 9 and Route 287.
- Improvements will also include new drainage and stormwater facilities as well as relocation of some utilities.
- When complete, the project will significantly reduce existing traffic congestion, improve safety and provide a long-term, cost-effective solution for future maintenance.
- The Virginia Department of Conservation and Recreation, Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries, and the US Fish and Wildlife Service determined that the project should have no impact on threatened or endangered species.
Current Update: August 2020
- A utility field inspection meeting was held on June 25, 2020 with all of the existing utility companies within the project limits. Coordination with these utility companies will be ongoing for any needed utility relocations.
- Loudoun County’s design consultant has submitted the 90% roadway design plans to Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) and Loudoun County’s Building and Development for their review and comments. Once these comments are received, the design consultant will finalize the design and submit final plans to obtain construction approval from all agencies winter of 2020.
- VDOT and Loudoun County’s Department of Building and Development provided feedback regarding the 60% roadway plans, which were submitted for their review in January 2020. Loudoun County’s design consultant will incorporate the feedback into the 90% roadway design plans, estimated for completion by early summer 2020.
Stay Informed About This Project
- View all project updates on Route 9/287 Roundabout.
- Sign up for updates on this project in Notify Me, Blogs category.
Anticipated Project Timeline
- Project Final Design: Winter 2020
- Land Acquisition: Fall 2020
- Utility Relocation: Summer 2021
- Construction Begins: Summer 2022
- Estimated Construction Duration: 24 months
Traffic Model Videos
View animated traffic model videos of roundabout movements during morning and evening peak travel hours:
- Morning Peak Traffic - Real Time View Video
- Morning Peak Traffic - Accelerated Time View Video
- Afternoon Peak Traffic - Real Time View Video
- Afternoon Peak Traffic - Accelerated Time View Video
- 6-25-19 Public Information Meeting Brochure (PDF)
- 6-25-19 Public Information Meeting Exhibit (PDF)
- 6-25-19 Public Information Meeting - Typical Sections (PDF)
- 6-25-19 Public Information Meeting Comment Sheet (PDF)