Zoning Ordinance Rewrite
- The Zoning Ordinance is the primary implementation tool for the 2019 Comprehensive Plan.
- It contains an added level of specificity that is based on the community’s vision as expressed in the goals, policies and actions of the 2019 Comprehensive Plan.
- The rewrite project, which kicked off in September 2019, is expected to take approximately 24 months.
- The Zoning Ordinance Action Group will serve as a sounding board throughout the Zoning Ordinance Rewrite process.
- Input from the Board of Supervisors, advisory bodies, various departments and community and professional groups will also be factored into the final product.
- A number of Zoning Ordinance Amendments have been rolled into the rewrite project.
- WSP USA Inc. has been awarded a contract to provide consulting services for the Zoning Ordinance rewrite.
The main focus areas of the Zoning Ordinance Rewrite include:
- Implementation of the new comprehensive plan vision, including the Urban Policy Area, which involves new place types with densities, standards, building forms, and infrastructure that have yet to be realized in Loudoun County.
- Modernization: revising land uses and definitions to reflect the current marketplace, reevaluating parking ratios and calculations, update lot and building standards, and aligning how the County administers planned unit developments with modern practice.
- Consistency audit: analyzing existing standards and striving for consistency within the document and across zoning districts when feasible.
- Structure and flow: improving the document structure, making it user-friendly and clear.
- Opportunities and challenges: evaluating input from stakeholders about the current Zoning Ordinance and making improvements where appropriate.
- Legislation: incorporating changes based on new or revised provisions of the Code of Virginia, court cases, and best management practices promoted by the Virginia Association of Zoning Officials, Urban Land Institute and American Planning Association.
|Project Milestones||Planned Date|
|Approval of Project Plan, consultant selection||September 2019|
|Project kickoff||October 2019|
|Research, analysis, Staff Technical Advisory Committee meetings||October 2019 -February 2020|
|Round One Input: Planning Commission, ZOAG, Advisory and Community Groups||January - March 2020|
|Integrate Round One Input, STAC Meetings, Ordinance Development||March - July 2020|
|Round Two Input: Planning Commission, ZOAG, Advisory and Community Groups; Draft Resolution of Intent to Amend (ROIA)||July - September 2020|
|Present Proposed ROIA to Board of Supervisors for Review & Adoption||October 2020|
|Refine Draft Ordinance Text per Referral Review & Round Two Input||January - March 2021|
|Present Draft Ordinance Text to Planning Commission for Review & Recommendations||April - June 2021|
|Present Draft Ordinance Text to Board of Supervisors for Review & Adoption||July - October 2021|
Current Status: March 2020
As part of its charge to identify, review, recommend and prepare amendments to the Revised 1993 Loudoun County Zoning Ordinance, the Zoning Ordinance Action Group (ZOAG) is serving as a resource for the Department of Planning and Zoning as it advances the rewrite of the current Zoning Ordinance.
“The ZOAG is serving as a ‘sounding board’ for us, providing assistance in the area of quality assurance, updating us on market trends and conditions, and making sure the ordinance will be clear, understandable, and user friendly,” said James David, deputy director of planning and zoning.
Upcoming ZOAG meetings that will focus on the Zoning Ordinance Rewrite include:
- Wednesday, March 18: Lot & Building Standards, Subdivision Design
- Wednesday, April 15: Uses, Performance Standards
- Wednesday, May 20: Parking, Signs, Landscaping, Screening, & Buffering
- Wednesday, June 17: Process
To see agendas, presentations and other materials from ZOAG meetings, visit loudoun.gov/zoag.
- September 19, 2019: Board of Supervisors Business Meeting - Project Plan and Staff Presentation
- September 19, 2019: Summary of Board Action (PDF)
- View all updates on the Zoning Ordinance Rewrite.
- Sign up to receive updates on this project in Notify Me, Blogs category.
- For questions about the Zoning Ordinance Rewrite project, email Planning and Zoning or call 703-777-0246.