Route 15 North Widening: Battlefield Pkwy. to Montresor Rd.
- This project includes the design, land acquisition and construction to widen Route 15 from two to four lanes between Battlefield Parkway and Montresor Road. The project scope includes:
- a signalized Continuous Green "T" (CGT) intersection at North King Street to allow through traffic to continue north on Route 15 without stopping
- an updated signalized intersection at Whites Ferry Road
- a two-lane hybrid roundabout at Montresor Road
- a realigned section of Limestone School Road to connect with the Montresor Road roundabout
- a shared use path on the west side of Route 15 from Tuscarora High School to Montresor Road
- a shared use path along the entire length of Whites Ferry Road
- The design process includes context-sensitive methods and follows the Journey Through Hallowed Ground guidelines where possible.
- The results of the Route 15 North Congestion Report, initiated to reduce traffic between Battlefield Parkway and Whites Ferry Road, were presented to the Board of Supervisors in May 2017.
- Recommendations from the report included widening Route 15 from two to four lanes between Battlefield Parkway and Montresor Road.
- As a result of the report, the board directed the initiation of the Route 15 North Safety and Operations Study to identify potential improvements between Whites Ferry Road and the Maryland state line.
- Public workshops and focus group meetings were held between August 2017 and October 2018 to obtain public feedback on Route 15 North widening design alternatives and evaluate traffic data and proposed concepts for the Route 15 North Safety and Operations Study.
- The board approved the project scope in September 2018.
Current Status: November 2019
- In November, J2 Engineers, Inc. delivered an initial 15% concept design with alignment alternatives to the Department of Transportation and Capital Infrastructure for evaluation.
- Roadway design and traffic analysis activities, initiated earlier this year, are ongoing and will continue into 2020.
- Environmental investigation work began in June 2019 and will finish in early 2020.
- A public meeting to review the concept design and design alternatives will be scheduled in early 2020.
- 15% Concept Plan for Route 15 Widening Improvements (PDF)
- Route 15 North Executive Summary Corridor Report (PDF)
Stay Informed About This Project
- View all updates for Route 15 North Widening: Battlefield Pkwy. to Montresor Rd.
- Sign up to receive email or text updates about projects and studies on Notify Me, Blogs category
For questions about the Route 15 North Widening design, contact Mark Hoffman at the Department of Transportation and Capital Infrastructure at 703-771-5323 or by email.
Email Glen Barbour, Public Information Officer or call 703-771-5086.