Sterling Community Center Renovation
- This project will renovate the existing Sterling Community Center and is part of the Sterling Public Facilities Master Plan initiated by the Board of Supervisors in 2012.
- The renovated Sterling Community Center will occupy 20,700 square feet of space at its current location, an expansion of 2,000 square feet. The additional space will provide two new entry vestibules and will accommodate an enlarged full court gymnasium.
- The Sterling Community Center’s extensive renovation plans will raise the split-level building to a single level, provide for new outdoor spaces and bring the facility standards up to date.
- Features of the center include a public lobby, fitness room, computer room, kitchen, teen gaming room, classrooms and an art room.
- When reopened, the center will be operated by the Loudoun County Department of Parks, Recreation and Community Services.
- The outdoor space renovation will include a new patio area, a renovated pavilion and an outdoor amphitheater.
- To maintain public safety during the renovation, the existing playground will be closed throughout the project.
- The project is estimated for completion in fall 2021.
Current Status: September 2021
- At the location of the former PTEX automotive shop on East Holley Avenue in Sterling, crews have completed the installation of the modular building that will serve as the interim fire station while a permanent facility is constructed. Work to install mechanical systems, stairs, ramps and walkways has been completed and permanent power was established at the end of July.
- Work to prepare the interim building for the Sterling Volunteer Fire and Rescue Companies to move in is complete, including installation of low voltage wiring and communication systems, and the interim station parking lot.
- Pending fire alarm testing, the station will begin operations out of the interim building in early September and demolition of the existing station will follow. Formal notification of the transfer to the interim station will be sent out by Loudoun County Fire and Rescue and a digital sign has been placed on Holly Avenue to identify the location of the new station entrance.
- Construction is currently estimated for completion in summer 2022, weather permitting.
Stay Informed About This Project
- View all project updates on the Sterling Community Center Renovation project.
- Sign up for updates on this project in Notify Me, Blogs category
- Capital Project Report for Sterling Community Center (PDF)
- FGSO Action Item 8: Master Plan for Sterling Area Public Facilities 2-12-2013 (PDF)
For more information about the Sterling Community Center Renovation project, contact the DTCI at 703-737-8624 or email the department.
Email Glen Barbour, Public Information Officer or call 703-771-5086.