COVID-19 Questions & Answers
Members of the public in Loudoun County submitted questions about coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) for the Board of Supervisors coronavirus briefing special meeting March 11, 2020. In addition, other questions have been continued to be submitted and answered below.
Last updated 4/24/20
- What are the vaccine efforts in Loudoun County?
- Who will get the vaccine first?
- How will I know when my family or I can get a vaccine?
- Is the vaccine safe?
- What precautions should I take with my pets or other animals?
- What should someone do if they are ill?
- Why won’t the county tell us where the people who have tested positive have been in our community? Shouldn’t we know so we can protect ourselves?
- What should someone do if their provider will not see them?
- Would you recommend advising the public against attending any public events, such as sporting events or high school graduations or political rallies or even public hearings before the Board?
- Would you implement a quarantine for individuals with confirmed cases of the virus?
- Do you anticipate that we may already have unidentified mild cases of corona virus in Loudoun County?
- What about the CDC suggestion that seniors refill their prescriptions as a precaution? I followed that advice and the prescriptions were denied by my insurance.
- What procedures are already being taken in schools, hospitals, libraries and other public buildings to ensure cleanliness and disinfecting to lower the spread?
- How long can COVID-19 lay dormant in one’s body?
- Is it legal for retailers to “mark-up” urgently needed supplies like soap? What should one do if they observe this happening?
- Is a person who is known to have been exposed to COVID-19 legally required to self-quarantine?
- How should testing be done if a person believes that they have been exposed or are experiencing symptoms? Should they go to their doctor or hospital, or can they call the health department?
- Are there enough testing kits in the area for the current anticipated need?
- In Loudoun, do we have private companies capable of doing COVID 19 testing?
- Are Loudoun hospitals, clinics, nursing homes and other healthcare providers getting the tests and other medical supplies they need? Can the county government facilitate & expedite the delivery?
- Should county employees be required to wear protective gloves?
- Do you anticipate the need for emergency legislation from Richmond to loosen the existing restrictions on elected officials participating remotely in meetings?
- What disinfection schedule are you recommending for county and town facilities? Given the experience of some stores on the west coast, are we apt to face shortages of disinfectant?
- Have you estimated how much the county should be prepared to spend to accomplish this, if necessary?
- Do you recommend the county set aside millions of dollars for emergency preparedness during this budget cycle?
- What steps are we taking to ensure our first responders, especially our ambulance crews, do not contract the virus from patients they’re transporting?
- What is the current level of preparation in the county’s retirement communities, nursing homes and senior centers?
- Is the county establishing standardized response procedures at the various county living facilities (Lansdowne Woods, Ashby Ponds, etc.) since these are high risk, concentrated population centers?
- Have you reached out to Inova Loudoun and Stone Springs hospitals to ascertain whether they could accommodate ancillary treatment facilities such as tents or trailers?
- If things get much worse, are hospitals safe to women to deliver, for people who have suppressed immune systems, etc.?
- How have local hospitals and clinics prepared for a major COVID-19 outbreak?
- Are hospitals capable of handling large numbers of COVID 19 symptomatic patients showing up in the emergency rooms unannounced?
- What are the maximum number of COVID-19 patients that our hospitals can handle?
- Do local hospitals have contingencies to augment staff, particularly if other local hospitals have a simultaneous need for augmented staff?
- Should people with symptoms call hospital emergency rooms before they go to the emergency room?
- LAX has instituted a more frequent disinfection schedule of once an hour. What is Dulles International Airport doing? What is Leesburg Executive Airport doing?
- What is the procedure at Dulles for passengers arriving on international flights?
- What happens if an international passenger is exhibiting COVID 19 systems in flight or shortly after landing?
- Testing at Dulles Airport does not seem as robust as other international airports in other countries. Is there a reason for the lag and can Dulles be more pro-active?
- What if a Dulles Airport or airline employee has COVID-19 symptoms but doesn’t have enough sick leave to remain home?
- Is there faster testing available for Dulles Airport or airline employees who work in International flights?
- At this time, is Dulles Airport still accepting flights from China, India or other countries with a high number of identified COVID 19 cases?
Receive updates from Loudoun County
Contact us with Questions