Selma Estates Flood Mitigation Project
- Between 2013 and 2018, significant flooding events were experienced by residents along Farnborough Place, Osterly Lane, Trongate Court, Berkhamstead Place, and Saxon Shore Drive, resulting in damage to residential structures.
- A 2019 study found that a buyout program is the most viable flood mitigation option because it removes all risk of structural flooding during a 100-year storm event.
Project Update: April 21, 2022
Stay Informed About This Project
- View all updates on the Selma Estates Flood Mitigation Project
- Sign up to receive updates on this project in Notify Me, Blogs category
If you have questions about the flood mitigation project, email project manager Maggie Auer at the Department of Building and Development or call 703-737-0222.
- February 24, 2021 VDEM Letter Confirming Submission of Grant Application (PDF)
- January 11, 2021 Flood Insurance Rate Map and Study (PDF)
- October 13, 2020 Finance Committee Meeting Item (PDF)
- May 5, 2020 Board of Supervisors Meeting Item (PDF)
- February 10, 2020 Community Meeting Presentation (PDF)
- December 3, 2019 Staff Presentation: Floodplain Analysis and Mitigation Alternatives (PDF)
- December 3, 2019 Board of Supervisors Meeting Item (PDF)
- Watershed Analysis by Wood PLC (PDF)
- FEMA Letter of Map Revision Effective June 17, 2019 (PDF)
- FEMA Letter of Map Revision Effective December 28, 2020 (PDF)
- Learn more about FEMA’s acquisition/buyout mitigation activity.(PDF)