Selma Estates Flood Mitigation Project
- Between 2013 and 2018, significant flooding events were experienced by residents along Farnborough Place, Osterly Lane, Trongate Court, Berkhamstead Place, and Saxon Shore Drive, resulting in damage to residential structures.
- A 2019 study found that a buyout program is the most viable flood mitigation option because it removes all risk of structural flooding during a 100-year storm event.
Project Status: January 14, 2021
- Virginia Department of Emergency Management (VDEM) is currently reviewing the county’s Flood Mitigation Assistance grant application. If VDEM approves, the grant application will be forwarded to FEMA in January 2021
- The county has been informed by VDEM that original photos of each side of the house on the eight properties included in the grant are needed to complete the application.
- On January 15, between 7:30 and 8:30 a.m., the Department of Building and Development would like to access those properties for the sole purpose of taking a photo of each of the four sides of the house and one streetview.
- Staff will be on each property for only the minimum amount of time required to obtain these photos (approximately five minutes)
- The county must submit the photos by the close of business Friday 1/15/21, so this need is urgent.
- Please email Ryan Reed at the Department of Building and Development to affirm that the county has permission to access your property for the purpose of 4 photos.
- Please call Ryan Reed with any problems, issues or concerns at 571-252-0675.
Stay Informed About This Project
- View all updates on the Selma Estates Flood Mitigation Project
- Sign up to receive updates on this project in Notify Me, Blogs category
If you have questions about the flood mitigation project, email Ryan Reed at the Department of Building and Development or call 703-737-8426.
- October 13, 2020 Finance Committee Meeting Item (PDF)
- May 5, 2020 Board of Supervisors Meeting Item (PDF)
- February 10, 2020 Community Meeting Presentation (PDF)
- December 3, 2019 Staff Presentation: Floodplain Analysis and Mitigation Alternatives (PDF)
- December 3, 2019 Board of Supervisors Meeting Item (PDF)
- Watershed Analysis by Wood PLC (PDF)
- View the most recent FEMA floodplain map for this area (PDF).
- Learn more about FEMA’s acquisition/buyout mitigation activity.(PDF)