When applying for pool permits, you will be required to submit the following:
- A building permit and zoning permit (PDF), signed by the property owner. Complete the entire form including:
- Size of the pool and square feet of area being disturbed (required).
- If your property is located in an incorporated town within Loudoun County, submit an approved zoning permit from the town with your application.
In addition to the permit application, you are required to submit:
- Plat of property showing:
- Pool location
- Distances from pool to sides and rear of property
- If you need to know your setbacks for the pool: email Building and Development, call 703-777-0220, option #2, or submit a setback request on Loudoun Express Request.
- Location of pool equipment and distances to property lines
- View a sample plat of property (PDF).
- Learn more about how to get a copy of a plat or survey. If you're unable to locate a copy of the plat or survey of your property showing the house, we will accept a base map of your property as shown in WebLogis.
- Statement of Owner/Lessee (PDF) if the permits are issued to the property owner
- Pool Fence Acknowledgement Form (PDF)
- You will need a pool fence in accordance with the 2015 Virginia Swimming Pool and Spa Code
- Above ground pools need to meet the requirements of Section 305.5 of the 2015 Virginia Swimming Pool and Spa Code.
- Grading Permit for Erosion and Sedimentation Control if the disturbed area is greater than 5000 square feet.
- Contact Erosion and Sediment Control at 571-258-3125 for any questions on the Grading Permit approval process.
- Electrical Permit and/or Gas Permit may be required. These should include detail of, but not limited to: fixtures/lights, sub panels, receptacles/outlets, pools residential/public, circuits, motors, and / or gas burners.
Submit an application
- Submit the completed permit application, a plat of your property, and other required documentation in one of the following ways:
- Online: Upload and submit your completed application form and required documentation here
- In person (paper submission): Building and Development
Loudoun County Government Center
1 Harrison Street, SE.
Leesburg, Virginia 20175
Hours: Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Environmentally Sensitive Areas on Lot
Lots with environmentally sensitive areas may take longer to review and may require additional information from the applicant.
If there is a stormwater easement on your property, please email the Stormwater Team before applying for permits.
Health Department Approval
If your lot is served by well and septic, contact the Health Department to obtain approval before applying for permits.
Some parcels have conservation easements that may limit what is permitted on a property. To search properties with permanent conservation easements, view this map (please note date of data currency). If you have questions about your Board of Supervisors (BOS) held easement, please email or call Office of Mapping & Geographic Information at 703-771-5778. Questions about easements held by other organizations should be directed to the holder of the easement.
To request copies of conservation easements and other legally recorded property documents, please email or call the Clerk of the Circuit Court at 703-737-8775 with the PIN and tax map #. Copies are $0.50/page, payment may be made over the phone by credit card and copies emailed. We recommend that landowners and prospective buyers review the terms of an easement with a land use and zoning attorney.
Requirements for Public Utilities
Call "Miss Utility" at 800-552-7001 before excavating to ensure that the construction does not interfere with underground utility lines."Miss Utility" is a free service to anyone who is planning to excavate. Utility companies support "Miss Utility" to prevent damage to their buried lines. Call at least 48 hours prior to excavating. The various companies will mark the path of underground utilities on your property.
Not an incorporated town: $260 (Includes county building and zoning permit fees)
In an incorporated town: $95 (Includes county building permit fee only)
All fees are calculated based on the details of the application submitted. Separate fees are charged for trade permits (electrical, plumbing, gas, mechanical) and grading permits, if issued.
Pay application fees
Permit fees must be paid once the county has completed the review process and you are notified that the permit is ready to be issued. Permits must be issued before your project can begin.
Inspections are required by law to establish that the construction has been built in accordance with the structural and safety provisions of the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code (VUSBC) standard construction practices and the approved drawings.
A copy of the approved plans must be on the job site and available to the inspector or no inspection will be performed.
The following inspections are required:
- Building Permit:
- Perimeter Bonding
- Ditch for Conduit
- Ditch for Conduit
- Gas Test
The permit holder or their representative must schedule an inspection when the stages of construction that require an inspection are reached. Inspections must be scheduled one work day in advance.
Call Building and Development at 703-777-0220, option 1.