Northstar Blvd: Route 50 to Tall Cedars Parkway
- This project provides for the planning, design, right of way acquisition (ROW) and construction of a segment of Northstar Boulevard, a minor arterial roadway, from John Mosby Highway (Route 50) to Tall Cedars Parkway.
- The plans include the construction of a new signalized intersection on Route 50 located near the Virginia Department of Transportation’s Arcola maintenance area headquarters.
- When completed, this segment of Northstar Boulevard will provide an alternative north/south connection to Route 50, improving capacity and safety on existing roadway networks within the Dulles South area.
- The county is developing a future segment of Northstar Boulevard from Shreveport Drive to Route 50, which will join this segment with the existing roadway in the Brambleton area. View the project page for Northstar Boulevard (Shreveport Dr. to Route 50).
- The $45.8M project budget includes 70% funding from the Northern Virginia Transportation Authority.
- Public input on the design was solicited during a Public Information Meeting held on Tuesday December 15, 2015 at Arcola Elementary School in Arcola, Virginia from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m.
- Estimated completion of the roadway is currently early 2024.
Current Status: April 2021
- Utility relocations are underway and expected to be completed by May 2021. Construction will follow the completion of utility relocation.
- The Construction Engineering and Inspection Services (CEI) RFP was issued on December 29, 2020.
- The Construction RFP advertisement is expected to be advertised Spring 2021.
- ROW acquisition activities have been completed.
- The bidding process for a construction general contractor is currently estimated to begin in 2021.
Stay Informed About This Project
- View all updates for this Northstar Boulevard: Route 50 to Tall Cedars Parkway project.
- Sign up for updates about this project on Notify Me, Blogs category.
- Quarterly Report on Capital Improvement Projects (PDF)
- Search Board of Supervisors documents for information related to this project.
- If you have questions about this project, email county staff or call 703-737-8624.
- Email Glen Barbour, Public Information Officer or call 703-771-5086.