Philomont Fire and Rescue Station
This project will construct a new 18,500-square-foot fire and rescue facility on Snickersville Turnpike in the Village of Philomont to replace the existing Philomont Volunteer Fire and Rescue Company #8 Station.
- The facility is anticipated to include apparatus bays, bunkroom facilities, a training/break room, restrooms, showers, food preparation and dining areas, laundry and decontamination areas, supply storage and a gear and hose drying area. It will also include a breathing apparatus air compressor room, a fitness room, offices and a repair shop.
- The project is estimated for completion in 2026.
Current Status: September 2022
- The design firm has been procured and a project kickoff meeting was held.
- The programming phase has commenced and the design process is underway.
- A project design schedule is being determined which will allow the planning of public input sessions.
Public Input Opportunities
- Upcoming Opportunities (Dates are tentative, will be updated as the design progresses.)
- Community Input Session – The design team will present the concept level design, receive input, and listen to comments and concerns from the public. Tentatively scheduled for late 2022 – Date to be finalized once the design schedule is known. Additional notice will be sent prior to this event.
- Planning Commission Public Hearing for review of the Special Exception (SPEX) and Commission Permit (CMPT). Tentatively scheduled winter (Jan/Feb/Mar) 2023.
- Board of Supervisors Public Hearing and Business Meeting for review of the Special Exception (SPEX) and Commission Permit (CMPT). Tentatively scheduled winter (Jan/Feb/Mar) 2023.
- Community Input Session – The design team will present the exterior finishes for the facility. The design team will receive input and listen to comments and concerns from the public. Tentatively scheduled spring 2023.
- Previous Opportunities
- The project was approved as a part of the FY2017 Capital Improvement Program (CIP) budget and all subsequent years since.
- A Public Information Meeting was held on September 30, 2020 at Woodgrove High School to discuss the future project. View the presentation (PDF) below.
- The project was a part of the November 2020 Bond Referendum. This was a referendum to determine how this project, along with multiple other public safety projects, was to be financed and not a vote on the project itself.
- A Public Information Meeting was held on September 9, 2021 at Woodgrove High School to discuss the feasibility study performed by the County.
- County Staff met with the residents of Philomont at the Philomont Community Center on September 29, 2021. View the recording (MP4) and presentation (PDF) below.
- A Board of Supervisors Business Meeting was held on October 5, 2021 to present the findings of the feasibility study.
Stay Informed About This Project
- View all updates for the Philomont Fire and Rescue Station Replacement.
- Sign Up to receive email and text updates about projects and studies on Notify Me, Blogs category
- 9-8-21_Philomont Fire and Rescue Public Information Meeting Presentation (PDF)
- 9-8-21_Philomont Fire and Rescue Public Information Meeting Recording (MP4)
- Feasibility Study for the Philomont Fire and Rescue Station (PDF)
- Philomont Fire and Rescue Station Overview Fact Sheet
- Philomont Fire and Rescue Station September 2020 Public Meeting Presentation (PDF)
- Finance/Government Operations and Economic Development Committee Report: November 2020 Bond Referendum
- Search Board of Supervisors documents for information related to this project.
- Contact the Department of Transportation and Capital Infrastructure at 703-737-8624 or email the department.
Email Glen Barbour, Public Information Officer or call 703-771-5086.