Route 7/287 Interchange Improvements
- This project funds the planning, design, right-of-way acquisition, and construction of improvements for the Harry Byrd Highway (Route 7) and Berlin Turnpike (Route 287) interchange in the Town of Purcellville.
- Within an estimated distance of 1.2 miles, the project scope includes lengthened and widened ramps, turn lanes, and expanded turn and through lanes along Route 287 between Eastgate Drive and the westbound Route 7 entrance/exit ramps. It also includes expanded pedestrian access to the W&OD Trail and traffic signal modifications.
- Improvements to the interchange were recommended in a 2012 interchange analysis completed by the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT).
- The budget for this project includes local tax funding and VDOT Smart Scale funding.
- The Smart Scale program includes the use of federal funds, which requires following the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) process.
Current Status: May 2022
- Loudoun County held a virtual design public meeting on the Route 7/287 Interchange Improvements on Thursday, April 14, 2022. Materials are below under Related Documents.
- In the project design, a Shared Use Path (SUP) was added on the west side of Route 287 running from the existing W&OD Trail on the south side of the interchange to East Gate Drive. The revision was approved by the county and Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) in winter 2021.
- The environmental documents required for Smart Scale funding were revised to incorporate the SUP and the revised documents were submitted to VDOT for review and approval.
- VDOT approved the Interchange Modification Report (IMR) in October 2021.
- The Construction Plan and Profile (CPAP) submission was made to Loudoun County and the Right of Way (ROW) submission to VDOT for review in November 2021. The plans were also submitted to the Town of Purcellville for review.
- This project is in the design phase which is currently estimated for completion in fall 2023.
Stay Informed About This Project
- View project updates for Route 7-287 Interchange Improvements.
- Sign up for updates on this project in Notify Me, Blogs category.
- Public Design Hearing (in coordination with VDOT) held on April 14, 2022
State Project: 6007-053-177 P101,R201, C501, UPC: 111664, Federal Project: PE - STP-5A01 (959), CN – NHPP-5B01(192)
- Watch the Recording
- Review the Presentation
- View Design Public Hearing questions and responses (PDF)
- Ad - Public Notice (PDF)
- National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) Document (PDF)
- Route 7/287 Interchange Modification Report (PDF)
- Route 7/287 Interchange Modification Report - Letter of Commitment from Location (PDF)
- Route 7/287 60% Right of Way (ROW) Submission - Cross Section (PDF)
- Route 7/287 60% Right of Way (ROW) Project Plan (PDF)
- A Guide for Property Owners and Tenants (PDF)
- 7/287 Interchange Improvements Exhibit (PDF)
- VDOT Route 7/287 Interchange Analysis 2012 (PDF)
- Search Board of Supervisors documents for information related to this project.
If you have questions about this project, email county staff or call 703-737-8624.
Email Glen Barbour, Public Information Officer or call 703-771-5086.