Route 7/287 Interchange Improvements
- This project funds the planning, design, right-of-way acquisition, and construction of improvements for the Harry Byrd Highway (Route 7) and Berlin Turnpike (Route 287) interchange in the Town of Purcellville.
- Within an estimated distance of 1.19 miles, the project scope includes lengthened and widened ramps, turn lanes, and expanded turn and through lanes along Route 287 between Eastgate Drive and the westbound Route 7 entrance/exit ramps. It also includes expanded pedestrian access and traffic signal modifications.
- Improvements to the interchange were recommended in a 2012 interchange analysis completed by the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT).
- The budget for this project includes local tax funding and VDOT Smart Scale funding.
- The Smart Scale program includes the use of federal funds, which requires following the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) process.
Current Status: September 2021
- In the project design, the county added a Shared Use Path (SUP) on the west side of Route 287 running from the existing W&OD Trail on the south side of the interchange to East Gate Drive. The revision was submitted to the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) for review and final approval.
- The environmental documents required for Smart Scale funding were revised to incorporate the SUP and the revised documents were submitted to VDOT for review and approval.
- The design team held the preliminary utility field inspection meeting for coordination with the utility stakeholders on the project.
- This project is in the design phase which is currently estimated for completion in fall 2022.
Stay Informed About This Project
- View project updates for Route 7-287 Interchange Improvements.
- Sign up for updates on this project in Notify Me, Blogs category.
- 7/287 Interchange Improvements Exhibit (PDF)
- VDOT Route 7/287 Interchange Analysis 2012 (PDF)
- Quarterly Report on Capital Improvement Projects (PDF)
- Search Board of Supervisors documents for information related to this project.
If you have questions about this project, email county staff or call 703-737-8624.
Email Glen Barbour, Public Information Officer or call 703-771-5086.