Village of Waterford Traffic Calming Study
The village of Waterford is an unincorporated village in the Catoctin Valley of Loudoun County, Virginia, located along Catoctin Creek. Waterford is 47 miles northwest of Washington, D.C., and 7 miles northwest of Leesburg.
The purpose of this study is to review viability of traffic calming measures at the three entry points of the Village of Waterford in the Catoctin Election District and review the feasibility of a potential byway around the Village.
- In July 2015, the Waterford Citizens Association expressed concerns with the Catoctin District Supervisor about the steady growth of traffic volume and increase in traffic speed through the Village of Waterford and requested assistance from the County to address these concerns.
- At the December 2, 2015 Board of Supervisors (Board) Business Meeting, the Board directed the Department of Transportation and Capital Infrastructure (DTCI) to complete a cut-through traffic study in the village of Waterford. This study was completed in May 2018 and summarized in the document titled, Final Technical Report: Village of Waterford Cut-Through Traffic Study.
- On January 21, 2020 Board of Supervisors Business Meeting, the Board directed DTCI to review the viability of chicanes and chokers at the three entry points of the village of Waterford, including a bypass, and report back to the Board of Supervisors. At this meeting, the Board also authorized the installation of pole mounted speed display signs at the entry points of the Village.
- In May 2020, DTCI installed three pole mounted speed display sign at the entry points of the village of Waterford.
This study is funded with the Capital Projects Fund for Traffic Calming projects.
Current Phase: Complete
- Learn about project phases and milestones.
- Visit the Capital Projects Active and Planned in Loudoun County interactive map to view projects in your area, including this one.
The following items were referenced during the April 15, 2021 public information meeting held for the Village of Waterford Traffic Calming and Byway Assessment project.
- Village of Waterford Traffic Calming Public Information Meeting Presentation (PDF)
- Village of Waterford Traffic Calming Public Information Meeting Video (MP4)
- Village of Waterford Traffic Calming Public Information Meeting Comments and Responses
- Traffic Calming and Byway Assessment Study Area Diagram
- Potential Traffic Calming Measures
- Byway Assessment Area - Environmental Constraints and Historic Districts
- Village of Waterford Traffic Calming and Byway Assessment - Final Report
- July 20, 2021 Response to Board Member Initiative: Village of Waterford Traffic Calming and Byway Assessment (PDF)
- December 2, 2015 Board of Supervisors Business Meeting - Village of Waterford Traffic Study (PDF)
- Copy Teste - Village of Waterford Traffic Study (PDF)
- January 21, 2020 Board of Supervisors Business Meeting - Proposed Traffic Calming Measures in the Village of Waterford (PDF)
- Copy Teste – Proposed Traffic Calming Measures in the Village of Waterford (PDF)
- If you have questions about this project, email the Department of Transportation and Capital Infrastructure or call 703-737-8624.
- Email Glen Barbour, Public Information Officer or call 703-771-5086.