Shellhorn Road Extended
This portion of the Shellhorn Road extension project will extend Shellhorn Road from Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority (MWAA) property northern boundary to and connect with the Sterling Blvd. extension. The project will realign some existing roads near the Loudoun Gateway Silver Line Station, including Lockridge Road, Moran Road and Randolph Drive. When completed, Shellhorn Road will be a continuous route from Waxpool Road to Route 28 at the present-day Sterling Boulevard interchange.
Background of Shellhorn Road Extension
Shellhorn Road will be extended to become a collector road along the north side of the Dulles Greenway. Shellhorn road currently begins in the west at Waxpool Road and ends at Loudoun County Parkway. Shellhorn Road is being extend eastward, parallel to the Dulles Greenway, until it reaches existing Lockridge Road. From there, Shellhorn Road will turn to the south and follow the alignment of Lockridge Road until it reaches the northernmost property line of Dulles Airport. This portion of the Shellhorn Road extension will extend Shellhorn south by the northern entrance to the Loudoun Gateway Silver Line station, then east to connect with the Sterling Blvd. extension.
- This project is funded through local funding and the Northern Virginia Transportation Authority (NVTA).
Current Status: August 2022
- The design team has begun development of 100% design plans, currently scheduled for stakeholder review and approval by March 2023.
- The design team is working to complete preparation for Right of Way (ROW) activities.
- Coordination with utility providers is ongoing.
Stay Informed About This Project
- View all updates for this Shellhorn Road Extension project.
- Sign up for updates about this project on Notify Me, Blogs category.
- 11-3-21 Shellhorn Road Extended Design Endorsement (PDF)
- 7-26-21 Shellhorn Road Extended Public Meeting Presentation (PDF)
- 7-26-21 Shellhorn Road Extended Public Meeting Recording (MP4)
- Search Board of Supervisors documents for information related to this project.
• If you have questions about this project, email county staff or call 703-737-8624.
• Email Glen Barbour, Public Information Officer or call 703-771-5086.