White's Ferry Study
Ferry service across the Potomac River is recognized as an important part of the region’s transportation network. White’s Ferry ceased operations on December 28, 2020, following a Circuit Court opinion in a private lawsuit over the use of private land for the ferry landing in Virginia. Prior to closing, White’s Ferry transported approximately 600 to 800 vehicles per day across the river and connected bicyclists and pedestrians between Loudoun County Virginia and Montgomery County Maryland.
Loudoun County will work jointly with Montgomery County to conduct the study of the White’s Ferry’s operations as well as an evaluation of land ownership and acquisition scenarios for the Virginia landing. The study will evaluate the long-term feasibility and reliability of Potomac River ferry service between Loudoun and Montgomery Counties and help identify alternatives for ferry operations with a common goal of re-establishing daily ferry service that benefits the community.
The joint study is being led by the Loudoun County Department of Transportation and Capital Infrastructure and the Montgomery County Department of Transportation. The study’s scope includes:
- Roadway access and ferry use along with any other pertinent transportation issues.
- Identifying legal and regulatory requirements associated with ferry operations.
- Landing site improvements and landing location options.
- Operating alternatives that may include a public/private partnership.
Current Phase: Complete
Stay Informed About This Project
The blog provides project updates to subscribers, including phase and milestone information.
- View all project updates on the White’s Ferry Study.
- Sign up for updates on this project in Notify Me, Blogs category.
- November 2021 Staff Report and White's Ferry Study (PDF).
- November 2021 Montgomery County Department of Transportation’s (MCDOT) Public Meeting
- April 21, 2021 - Loudoun County Taking Steps to Restore Potomac River Ferry Service
- April 21, 2021 – Montgomery County Applauds Loudoun County’s Efforts to Restore Potomac River Ferry Service
- August 18, 2021 - Montgomery County, in Partnership with Loudoun County and Capital Infrastructure, Announces White's Ferry Study Underway and On Time; Meeting to be Held in Poolesville on Wednesday, Aug. 18
- If you have questions about this project, email the Department of Transportation and Capital Infrastructure or call 703-737-8624.
- Email Glen Barbour, Public Information Officer or call 703-771-5086.