Circuit Court Audio Requests
How do I request audio recorded from a Circuit Court hearing or trial?
- Obtain any unknown information (case #, date, time and courtroom) needed to fill out the Audio Request Form (PDF) using the Virginia Judicial System's Circuit Court Case Information Portal.
- Submit the completed Audio Request Form (PDF) to either the Civil or Criminal Division depending on your case type.
- Payment is due at the time of your request; view information on the forms of payment we accept.
Requests for audio
- Trial or hearing must have occurred on or after December 5, 2001.
- Each request should contain a single trial or hearing that lasts no more than two consecutive court days.
- Trials or hearings exceeding two days will require additional requests as needed (two consecutive days per request).
- Any trials or hearings that are continued or that do not run consecutively must have additional requests as needed.
- When requesting multiple trials or hearings please fill out a separate request for each.
- Each request will be assessed the appropriate fees even if it is the same trial or hearing.
- Requests will be ready for pick-up or mailed within five (5) business days, unless notified otherwise. You will be contacted by our office when you request has been completed and is ready for pick-up or mail delivery.
Audio recordings are available in different formats depending on when it was recorded and in which courtroom. The table below indicates when each individual courtroom started recording in the DCR format. Any dates prior would be recorded in the FTR Gold format.
|2A||March 6, 2020|
|2B||March 5, 2020|
|2C||March 3, 2020|
|2D||February 21, 2020|
|2E||January 28, 2020|
|Old Courthouse (OCH)||January 16, 2020|
- FTR Gold - These will play on your computer only if you have installed TheRecordPlayer software, which is included with each request.
- Requests recorded in FTR Gold can be reformatted to MP3 for an additional fee.
- DCR (Digital Court Recorder) - These will play on your computer only if you have installed the DCR Player software.
- Requests recorded in DCR can be reformatted to M4A for an additional fee.
Requests may be expedited for an additional fee. Expedited requests will be available for pickup by noon the following business day unless otherwise notified.