SmartBenefits® Plu$50 Incentive Program
SmartBenefits® Plu$50 is an incentive program for Loudoun County employers, providing a no-fee system for administering qualified transportation fringe benefits while encouraging employees to try transit. Loudoun County Commuter Services provides participating employers free SmarTrip® cards, pre-loaded with $50, to help eligible employees pay for travel on buses, Metrorail, or vanpools. Loudoun County Transit buses are equipped to accept Metro's SmarTrip® electronic fair collection via plastic card and mobile pay.
When the free $50 benefit is used up, the employee can request full-time enrollment in the SmartBenefits® commuter benefits program, provided by the Washington Area Metropolitan Transit Authority (WMATA). The program provides a system for managing qualified transportation fringe benefits, which are allowed by Section 132(f) of the Internal Revenue Code.
How to Participate
To pursue SmartBenefits® Plu$50 for your Loudoun County workplace, email Loudoun County Commuter Services or call 703-771-5665. Click the tabs below for information about SmartBenefits® Plu$50 program eligibility and guidelines.
Federal government employees, employees already enrolled in SmartBenefits®, and current vanpool or transit commuters are not eligible for this incentive. Eligible employees:
- work for an employer in Loudoun County.
- are interested in riding buses, Metrorail, or vanpools.
- have not previously acquired a SmarTrip® card.
SmartBenefits® Plu$50 is an incentive offered and funded through a Mobility Program grant from the Virginia Department of Rail and Public Transportation. Participation is subject to availability.
- SmartBenefits® Plu$50 is available for eligible participants between July 1, 2021, and June 30, 2022.
- Eligible participants are individual employees of selected Loudoun County workplaces who are interested in riding public transportation, but neither own a SmarTrip® card nor commute on public transportation.
- While funding and supplies are available, eligible employees who choose to participate in SmartBenefits® Plu$50 will receive (at no charge) a SmarTrip® card pre-loaded with $50.00 value as an incentive to begin using transit.
- SmarTrip® cards will be distributed to eligible employees by a representative of their employer.
- A list of all employees and the associated SmarTrip® card numbers will be maintained by Loudoun County Commuter Services.
- Employees who receive a SmarTrip® card are responsible for registering their SmarTrip® cards with WMATA.
- Employees who receive a SmarTrip® card will be provided a receipt. Receipts will include:
- Recipient’s name
- Recipient’s email address or phone number
- Notification stating lost or stolen SmarTrip® cards will not be replaced by Loudoun County Commuter Services or the Virginia Department of Rail and Public Transportation
- Notification stating recipients are responsible for any federal, state, or local taxes associated with the SmartBenefits® Plu$50
- Loudoun County Commuter Services and the Department of Rail and Public Transportation reserve the right to end SmartBenefits® Plu$50 at any time.