- Departments & Offices
- Planning & Zoning
- Zoning Ordinance Rewrite
- About the Zoning Ordinance Rewrite
About the Zoning Ordinance Rewrite
- The Zoning Ordinance, together with the Official Zoning Map, regulates land use in Loudoun County and promotes orderly growth, development, and redevelopment, as well as the health, safety, and general welfare of the public.
- The Zoning Ordinance is the primary implementation tool for the 2019 Comprehensive Plan, in particular its components, the General Plan and the Countywide Transportation Plan.
- The Zoning Ordinance is a regulatory document with legal requirements, and the 2019 Comprehensive Plan is a policy document that provides guidance for elected officials and other governmental decision-makers as to where and how the community will grow long term.
- Input from the Board of Supervisors, advisory bodies, various departments and community and professional groups continues to be factored into the draft Zoning Ordinance.
- A number of stand-alone Zoning Ordinance Amendments are being processed separately from the Zoning Ordinance Rewrite project. When the Board of Supervisors adopts those amendments, the adopted text will be rolled into the draft Zoning Ordinance.
- Submit comments on the Zoning Ordinance Rewrite.
The main focus areas of the Zoning Ordinance Rewrite include:
- Implementation of the new comprehensive plan vision, including the Urban Policy Area, which involves new place types with densities, standards, building forms, and infrastructure that have yet to be realized in Loudoun County.
- Modernization: revising land uses and definitions to reflect the current marketplace, reevaluating parking ratios and calculations, update lot and building standards, and aligning how the County administers planned unit developments with modern practice.
- Consistency audit: analyzing existing standards and striving for consistency within the document and across zoning districts when feasible.
- Structure and flow: improving the document structure, making it user-friendly and clear.
- Opportunities and challenges: evaluating input from stakeholders about the current Zoning Ordinance and making improvements where appropriate.
- Legislation: incorporating changes based on new or revised provisions of the Code of Virginia, court cases, and best management practices promoted by the Virginia Association of Zoning Officials, Urban Land Institute and American Planning Association.