Sidewalk and Trail Program
Loudoun County’s Sidewalk and Trail Program addresses missing bicycle and pedestrian links within the county based on comparing the existing bicycle and trail network and the proposed network highlighted in the 2019 Countywide Transportation Plan (CTP). The program will allow for proactive and systematic programming for the planning, design, and construction of projects to complete these “missing links”. Through the Sidewalk and Trail Program, a high priority will be placed on links to other regional bicycle and pedestrian facilities, such as the Washington and Old Dominion Trail (W&OD), and transportation services, including the Silver Line Metrorail.
Some program highlights:
- In 2018, Loudoun County established the Sidewalk and Trails Program as part of the Capital Improvement Program (CIP).
- Missing facility segments were prioritized based on five groupings including proximity to activity generators, proximity to transit access, roadway characteristics, safety, and the ability of a segment to improve connectivity between high-volume trip generators (network connectivity).
- Sidewalk and Trail projects are initiated and advanced to design and implementation phases in ascending priority order within the CIP.
- The Sidewalk and Trail Program will also include data obtained from the Equity Analysis Study and the Rural Priority Study completed by Loudoun County.
- Funding for beginning design of projects in the Sidewalk and Trail Program began in 2021.
- Larger trail or shared use path (SUP) projects are completed as standalone CIP projects outside of the Sidewalk and Trail Program and can be found at loudoun.gov/capitalprojects.
Award Winning Equity Analysis
In 2023, the Sidewalk and Trail Program received an Achievement Award for excellence and innovation from the Virginia Association of Counties (VACo). The program was recognized for developing an innovative framework and approach to increase equitable access to sidewalks and trails in the county. This framework establishes a set of objective standards that can be used in planning and prioritizing future sidewalk and trail projects. For more information, view the news release (PDF).
Sidewalk and Trail Projects
Each individual sidewalk and trail project follows a standard process for project initiation and advancement within the County’s CIP. From start to finish, the estimated timeline for the construction of a sidewalk or trail segment can vary greatly depending on existing conditions, design complexity, utility relocations, and land acquisition needs. The Sidewalk and Trail Program projects currently underway are listed in alphabetical order and are as follows:
|Project Description||Type||Current Phase||Fiscal Year Completion*|
|Ashburn Road (within Ashburn Village Boulevard and north to Gloucester Parkway) - Ashburn/Broad Run District||Shared Use Path/Sidewalk||Planning||2029|
|Ashburn Village Boulevard (Farmwell Road to Michener Drive) - Ashburn District||Shared Use Path||Design||2026|
|Ashburn Village Boulevard (Tippecanoe Terrace to W&OD Trail) - Broad Run District||Shared Use Path||Design||2027|
|Benedict Drive (Potomac View Road to existing sidewalk east of Bartholomew Fair Drive) - Sterling District||Sidewalk||Planning||2027|
|Blossom Drive (Victoria Station Drive to Magnolia Road) - Sterling District||Sidewalk||Design||2026|
|Cascades Parkway (Church Road to Victoria Station Drive) - Sterling District||Shared Use Path||Planning||2029|
|Cascades Parkway (Nokes Boulevard/Potomac View Road and Woodshire Drive) - Sterling District||Shared Use Path||Planning||2029|
|Church Road (Magnolia Road to West Holly Avenue) - Sterling District||Sidewalk||Design||2027|
|Claiborne Parkway (Broadlands Boulevard to Vestals Gap Drive) - Broad Run District||Shared Use Path||Design||2026|
|Claude Moore Drive (Old Ryan Road to existing sidewalk east of Mooreview Parkway) - Broad Run District||Sidewalk||Design||2025|
|Davis Drive (South Sterling Boulevard to West Church Road) - Sterling District||Shared Use Path/Sidewalk||Design||2030|
|East Maple Avenue (Enterprise Street to South Sterling Boulevard) - Sterling District||Sidewalk||Design||2026|
|Leesburg Pike (City Center Boulevard to Loudoun Tech Drive) and Loudoun Tech Drive (Leesburg Pike to Ridgetop Circle) - Sterling District||Shared Use Path||Design||2029|
|Millstream Drive (Village Center Plaza/Loudoun Park & Ride to existing sidewalk west of Stone Carver Drive) - Sterling District||Sidewalk||Planning||2027|
|Pacific Boulevard (Waxpool Road to W&OD Trail connection) - Sterling District||Shared Use Path||Design||2029|
|Potomac View Road (Cascades Parkway Intersection Improvements) - Sterling District||Ramps and Crosswalks||Design||2027|
|Potomac View Road (Cascades Parkway to First Baptist Church driveway) - Sterling District||Shared Use Path||Design||2027|
|Potomac View Road (Route 7 to existing sidewalk south of Palisade Parkway) - Algonkian District||Shared Use Path||Planning||2031|
|Potomac View Road (West and south of River Meadows Terrace to Route 7) - Algonkian District||Shared Use Path||Design||2027|
|Shellhorn Road (Blossom Hill Terrace to Ashburn Village Boulevard) - Broad Run District||Sidewalk||Design||2028|
|Smith Switch Road (Gloucester Parkway to existing shared use path north of Chilum Place) - Broad Run District||Shared Use Path||Design||2029|
|Sterling Boulevard (North side - W&OD Trail to Glenn Drive; Glenn Drive to Shaw Road) - Sterling District||Shared Use Path/Sidewalk||Design||2025|
|Sterling Boulevard (South side - Shaw Road to Davis Drive) - Sterling District||Shared Use Path||Planning||2023|
|VDOT Smart Scale Project: Route 7 Shared Use Path and Sidewalk Projects - UPCT27733||Shared Use Path||Planning||TBD|
|VDOT Smart Scale Project: Cascades Parkway Bike and Ped - Nokes to Victoria Station - UPC123835||Shared Use Path||Planning||TBD|
|Waxpool Road (Claiborne Parkway to Faulkner Parkway) - Ashburn/Broad Run District||Shared Use Path/Sidewalk||Design||TBD|
* Estimated fiscal year (FY) date of completion. Loudoun County's FY runs July through June. For example, July 2023 is the start of FY 2024.
The following resources provide more information about Loudoun County Capital Projects:
- View an interactive map that provides additional information on Loudoun County facilities or transportation projects in specific locations. Projects under the Sidewalk and Trail Program due for completion in 2027 or later may not be included.
- View the most recent Quarterly Report on Capital Improvement Projects (PDF)
Stay Informed About this Program
- View all updates for this Sidewalk and Trail Program.
- Sign up for updates about this project on Notify Me, Blogs category.
- Item 09a TLUC Report_Sidewalk and Trail Study Phase 2 (PDF) - As included in the July 18, 2023 Board of Supervisors Business Meeting documents and the June 21, 2023 Transportation and Land Use Committee (TLUC) meeting documents.
- June 2020: Sidewalk and Shared Use Path Prioritization Project Report (PDF)
- February 17, 2021 Transportation and Land Use Committee Meeting: Sidewalk and Trail Program Overview (PDF)
- July 21, 2020 Board of Supervisors Meeting: Sidewalk and Trail Program Update, Results of the Missing Links Prioritization Study (PDF)
- December 7, 2021 Board of Supervisors Meeting: Location and Design Endorsement – VDOT Metrorail Bicycle and Pedestrian Improvements Project (VDOT) (PDF)
- Search Board of Supervisors documents for information related to this project.
- If you have questions about this project, email the Department of Transportation and Capital Infrastructureor call
- Email Glen Barbour, Public Information Officeror call