Youth Volunteer Opportunities
Thank you for wanting to help the shelter pets at Loudoun County Animal Services! Our Apprentice Program is set up specifically for children, ages 10-15, to volunteer alongside their parent or guardian.
Volunteer Apprentice Program - Ages 10 to 15 with a Parent or Guardian
The Volunteer Apprentice Program allows youth ages 10-15 to volunteer at Loudoun County Animal Services alongside a parent/guardian. Volunteer Apprentice pairs support shelter staff and pets through teamwork, filling many of the roles of an adult volunteer. Orientations for the Apprentice Program are offered twice a year.
- Volunteer Apprentices must be between 10-15 years old. (Ages 16 and up can volunteer independently.)
- Each parent/guardian must be over 18 years old and may only supervise one Volunteer Apprentice at a time.
- Apprentices and parent/guardians must volunteer together for a minimum of 8 hours per month for at least 6 months.
- Must be able to volunteer during LCAS operating hours.
- Parent/guardian and apprentice volunteer must be able to attend one of the biannual apprentice orientations together before beginning to volunteer.
If you are interested in becoming a Volunteer Apprentice Pair, please contact the Volunteer Coordinator by email to be placed on the notification list for the next Volunteer Apprentice Orientation. You will be contacted with more information regarding the next Volunteer Apprentice orientation. Apprentice orientations occur twice a year and are based on the pet population and shelter needs.
Available Volunteer Positions:
Canine Volunteers improve the lives of shelter dogs while they are waiting for their new homes. Volunteers work with the Behavior Program Manager on training and enrichment for the dogs and assist with vital care and cleaning to make the dogs comfortable in their kennels. Strict adherence to LCAS cleaning and disease control policy is required.
Feline Volunteers spend quality time socializing, exercising and enriching the environment of the cats in the shelter. They are responsible for safely and compassionately handling the cats. Volunteers are responsible for assisting staff in ensuring that each cat’s kennel is clean and well maintained. Strict adherence to LCAS cleaning and disease control policy is required.
Small Animal Volunteers
Small Animal Volunteers cuddle, pet, play with and give attention to adoptable small animals (i.e. gerbils, ferrets, guinea pigs, geckos, etc.) at the shelter. These volunteers also assist staff in the maintenance and cleaning pertaining to these animals. Strict adherence to LCAS cleaning and disease control policy is required.
For more information please call 703-777-0406 or email Volunteer Coordinator Amelia Monroe.
At-Home Projects to Help Animals
Are you interested in helping animals in Loudoun County but you need service hours quickly or can’t make the commitments required of an onsite volunteer? The projects below can be completed at home and brought the shelter any time we are open for business.
If you need service hours for a club, school or other organization, be sure to track your hours using our tracking sheet or the sheet provided by your school or organization. For larger projects, such as Girl Scout Gold, Eagle Scout or LCPS Senior Projects, please contact the volunteer coordinator at 703-777-0406.
*Please note: LCAS is unable to sign for court ordered community service hours.*
Check out these great ideas for ways to help animals! Time estimates for each project are noted in parenthesis.
- Create your own donation drive for pet supplies and donate them to the animal shelter, humane society or Loudoun Pet Pantry. Items for donation can include food, treats, puzzle toys and more!
- Make homemade dog or cat treats! You can find tons of recipes online. Our dogs particularly love dog cookies with pumpkin or chicken broth which are good for their stomachs! (30 minutes- 1 hour per batch)
- Collect Kong toys and stuff them wet food or chopped up hotdogs and freeze them for our dogs to play with! (30 minutes for 10 kongs)
- Make monkey’s fist rope toys for dogs. (1 hour for 10 toys) Instructions here!
- Make no-sew cat beds to keep our feline friends comfy. (10 minutes per bed) Instructions here!
- Enjoy crocheting? Make LCAS cats some catnip toys in fun shapes. Try these patterns for catnip squids or tacos! (45 minutes per squid or taco)
- Cat wands are quick and easy to make and they help our volunteers interact with cats. (10 wands for 30 minutes) Instructions here!
- Collect recyclables and make them into puzzle toys for our pets, such as toilet paper rolls, paper towel rolls, paper bags, cardboard egg cartons and boxes. (2-5 minutes per toy) Instructions here!